Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'll probably stir some emotions up with this one but I'm just seeking an honest "consumer" opinion. I've reached my baby's (M695) first service interval and called two local shops in town. I bought the bike from AMS Dallas and at the time it was purchased I was told the first service would come at 700mi and the cost would be about $400. My rep is no longer with AMS and I was quoted over the phone today that the service fee is in the $600 range. :eek: I asked what all was included in this service visit/fee and they stated the following:

Torque all bolts to spec, as needed.
Adjust chain
Oil and Filter Change
Tension belts
Clean air filter
Synch Throttle bodies/position sensor IF needed.

So, now I call the place in Plano, you know, the OTHER guys! :-X Anyway, they tell me that they do the exact same thing for $150!!!! The guy was very straight forward and said it's basically a glorified oil change and that yes they will torque bolts to spec, adjust chain/belts but only synch the throttle bodies or tweak the ECU if they deem it necessary. The stated the bike shouldn't really need it at 700mi, but it's always a possibility.

I'd like to give my business to AMS considering I bought the bike from them and they have the best reputation, even from their service staff, but I have a hard time believing that the first service on this thing should cost me $600. Perhaps more acceptable if we were referring to the 7000 mi service. At the end of the day, techs at both locations are certified and bike is under warranty- how bad can the service be from either source? The plus for me personally is that Plano is in my backyard vs. AMS is a 25 mile hike.

I know most of us on this site are AMS customers so I figure the response will be pro their service. I'm just looking at it from a mere consumer standpoint, friendships and personal feelings aside, and seeking on honest opinion, feedback or expereince.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
That seems like a big difference in price on the 600 mile service. When my S2R1K goes in for it's 600 service I will take it to AMS, but they have an exhaust system with ECU and other parts I've paid for sitting there waiting to be put on. And it will probably go to Alvarado in their van to hit the dyno. If it was just the 600 service and nothing more and I lived in the Plano area why not try the other guys? I have had no experience with them service-wise, but they have always been nice and friendly when I have stopped by to look around... no buying, just looking around. I am sure someone out there has had dealings with both and has better advice than me. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I know a guy who's bike sat at the Plano shop for over 3 months before they looked at it. No joke!! Their reasoning was that he didn't by the bike from them but from the shop they used to own over on 35. I know several other people who have taken their bike to that shop and their bikes sat their for a very long time before getting serviced.

I bought my bike from the Plano shop but AMS is the only shop that has serviced my bike and they have always done a great job and the bill has always came in under what they quoted me.

I think the longest my bike has ever been at AMS it two days for a service. Those services include the 600 mile, 6000 mile, 12000 mile, 18000 mile, and the install of new clutch plates.

Also, verify what each shop does. I have heard that what they do is not quite the same.

Swanny

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
That is a big difference in price FOR SURE :eek: Both my bikes came from AMS; they've done really good service work so that's where they go, but if I were you, definitely get an exact quote from both shops and then try and get an idea from both as to how long you should expect to have your bike stay while being serviced.

I personally have no experience service-wise with the store in Plano, but given the price difference, close location for you, AND (if) all things were equal, I'd give 'em a shot; that's the only real way to know what's up sometimes.

That's one of the great things about having a Ducati in the Dallas/Fort Worth area - we've got three really good Ducati dealerships so if things don't work out for some reason at one, try one of the other shops next time 'round.

Lisa

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the feedback; you're all wonderful! i think i'll give Plano a shot, but not this week. i'll wait for the weather to crap out on us again so they can keep it as long as it's nasty outside! LOL. seriously, the guy said he'd keep it a couple days and AMS said the same thing. service wise...they both told me they do the EXACT same thing on the 600mi service and i didn't even mention to either of them that i had talked to the other (didn't want to play them against eachother, just simply seeking their info.) i'll report back on my experience. i've heard plano takes a while on service end, but it makes sense too....they carry several brands so i would imagine their volumes are heavier...thus more bikes to tend to on a daily basis. it would piss me off to have it in the shop longer than necessary on good days but a cage in cold weather isn't so bad!

thanks again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
WHOA!!!!!
Ease up there people, Peter here from AMS!
Misfit, call me at the Dallas store because i think there is a break down in communication.
The 600 mile service on an 07 M695 is around $300

Cheers!
Now i can go back to my nap............zzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I had my 620 I took it too the other other place in ft worth. Very nice people BUT had I to do it all over again I would go to AMS myself. I think you get what you pay for and with the rep AMS has worldwide your Duc will be purring like never before [clap]

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Also having a Beemer, I've been to the Plano shop many times. Nice guys, but I personally will be entrusting AMS with my Duc.

That's my 2 cents, but, HEY! No charge this time >:D

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Maybe Peter at AMS/Dallas has a point, could be just bad intel on the quote. Again, no service experience with Plano shop but they were nice folks... but then again I would like to think they should be nice to everyone! Without a doubt AMS has the well deserved rep. I would be taking my S2R1K to them regardless of the stuff waiting to be put on... even if I had to take it to Alvarado (which I have had to do with my 999, Dallas/AMS wasn't around then). Nice is nice, but great service rep and nice is much better! More of my devalued two cents!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Plano does not do the same... AMS has the dyno tuning for instance.

Search for older topics on this one cause I don't feel like going through the motions again.
AMS all the way!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shadowcougar1 said:
Plano does not do the same... AMS has the dyno tuning for instance.

Search for older topics on this one cause I don't feel like going through the motions again.
AMS all the way!
RELAX BABY, NO ONE ASKED YOU TO GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS ALL OVER AGAIN. HELL, YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO SHARE YOUR OPINON, BUT THANKS FOR DOING SO ANYWAY. ;)

YOUR ABSOULTELY RIGHT, AMS DOES HAVE THE DYNO BUT THE FIRST SERVICE ON THE 695 AT $600 (OR SHOULD THAT BE AN ERROR AND IT BE $300), DOES NOT INCLUDE A DYNO TUNE. AND MY COMMENT AS TO PLANO DOING THE SAME THING WAS REFERRING TO THE 600MI SERVICE ON THE 695 (ONLY). I WAS SIMPLY STATING THE OBVIOUS---$600 FOR TURNING SOME BOLTS AND CHANGING OIL IS A LOT OF $$$; WHEN THE OTHER GUY'S ASKING FOR LESS THAN A 1/3RD OF THAT AMOUNT. NOW IF WE'RE TALKING $300, THEN PLANO IS STATING THEY DO IT FOR 1/2. AGAIN, NO HARD FEELINGS...JUST WANTED THE FEEDBACK EVERYONE HAS DELIVERED THUS FAR. I THINK WE ALL AGREE THAT IF YOUR HAVING SOME MODS DONE, SEEK A DYNO TUNE, OR HAVING SOME SERIOUS TECH WORK PERFORMED....HANDS DOWN... AMS IS THE DEALER OF CHOICE. THEY HAVE BOTH THE TECHNOLOGY AND EXPERTISE TO DO AN EXCELLENT JOB, AND PROBABLY WORTH PAYING THE EXTRA BUCKS. I JUST ABOUT CHOKED ON THE PHONE RECEIVER WHEN HE TOLD ME $600 FOR THE 600MI SERVICE.

PETER...GOT YOUR VOICE MESSAGE THIS EVENING, I'LL GIVE YOU JINGLE IN THE MORNING. THANKS.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I understand the choking, again if it's the basic service why the heck not try the people in your own backyard. Nothing against either shop, my $$ goes to AMS but I've got more things on my plate. What the heck, check them out and that's coming from a AMS person, everyone deserves a chance. You may have a wonderful experience with Plano and I hope you do.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, thanks to the good folks at AMS, this forum and a couple of phone calls----we were all able to get this misunderstanding/quote thing put behind us. My baby's got a new diaper now and she's happy!!! Jeff and Scott took good care of it, and even did a little dyno tuning for me. Thanks guys!

Peter, appreciate the call and clarification on the Ducati's new service rates for the 695.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
are you referring to bmw of plano? thats where i got my bike(620 dark) and i took it there for the first service. it was 339$ total...they didnt sign my warranty card or anything until i reminded them, and the only guy that was really courteous to me, or at least pretented to be, was the guy who sold me the bike. they also wouldnt mail me a frickin 10 cent screw cover that fell off without charging me 5$ for ups shipping. they wouldnt just give me one off the showroom bikes either because it might "get sold today and then the customer would complain." i live 50 miles from there, im not driving back there for a cosmetic piece that costs 10 cents when it wouldnt be any sweat for them to give me one and then order some more for their stock. im going to ams from now on, so thats my 2 cents. BOO YAH

·
Registered
665 Posts
misfit said:
Well, thanks to the good folks at AMS, this forum and a couple of phone calls----we were all able to get this misunderstanding/quote thing put behind us. My baby's got a new diaper now and she's happy!!! Jeff and Scott took good care of it, and even did a little dyno tuning for me. Thanks guys!

Peter, appreciate the call and clarification on the Ducati's new service rates for the 695.
You have a nice 695 and those pipes are loud i was able to hear the bike screaming with Jeff on the dyno... [thumbsup].. ;D

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Glad it worked out Misfit [thumbsup]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts