1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this in the FT. It's for real. :eek:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/209fe0b8-18a6-11dc-a961-000b5df10621.html

Quote from the article:

Ducati Motor Holding, the listed Italian motorcycle manufacturer, would consider a merger with US-based Harley-Davidson “anytime”, said Enrico D’Onofrio, CFO.

A merger with Harley-Davidson would be “totally complementary”, he said, responding to speculation in the market that the two firms had been in talks.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It does make sense, Harley is loaded, Ducati is small time... BUT this will only make our bikes EVEN MORE trendy then they already are. Think of all the ducati t-shirts and headbands to be sold. I bet this pisses off Harley owners more than it would piss off Duc owners

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Vindingo said:
It does make sense, Harley is loaded, Ducati is small time... BUT this will only make our bikes EVEN MORE trendy then they already are. Think of all the ducati t-shirts and headbands to be sold. I bet this pisses off Harley owners more than it would piss off Duc owners
Just think of all the snow boards, bicycles, watches, and luggage that Ducati would start selling if merged with H-D. ;D

Oh wait, Ducati is already a trendy yuppie brand, just not quite as bad as the motor co. yet.

I think the dentists and bankers are still a little intimidated by the 'skill' required to ride a 'sportbike', and the lack of comfort. That is about the only thing keeping everyone with $10k extra from picking a duc up.

mitt

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would sell my Ducati's if they merged with Harley.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Ruh roh

Half of all Ducati owners in the US also own a Harley, D’Onofrio added.
But bear in mind, Harley has a strong Italian connection in its history. Plenty of Harley-Aermacchi badged bikes still tooting around in Italy and Europe (100,250,400cc!!) .

It would not be crazy, business-wise. But only if both companies maintained their separate identities totally. It would be nice to have the Harley dealer network.

Also, consider that a typical Harley rider is not the same as a typical Buell rider. They are different, yet cohabitate.

So it might work.

Aermacchi-Harley "chimera"

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mitt said:
I think the dentists and bankers are still a little intimidated by the 'skill' required to ride a 'sportbike', and the lack of comfort. That is about the only thing keeping everyone with $10k extra from picking a duc up.

mitt
shhhhhhhh, please dont tell anyone that its not true. You mean monsters dont do 175mph? You mean its easier to handle a 400lb bike then a 600lb bike?

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
powerhammer6 said:
there's gotta be some form of rednecks in Italy no?
I have been around the world 20 times and worked on every continent but Australia.
THERE ARE REDNECKS EVERYWHERE.....
And, NO, not because I was there......... I don't think ::)

I GUARANTEE YOU ERIC BUELL WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO HAVE A DS1100 to work with

I'd LOVE to have their new motor stuffed in a Monster esque chassis. Yeah you would have to stretch it out and it would weigh in the high 400's but 1400cc 115/115 HP/TQ .

Come to think of it we are probably a part of this whole thing and don't even know it.........

ANYONE SEEN THE LATEST MONSTER OF THE MONTH [thumbsup]

It is doomed to failure though, can you imagine the HD guys in Italy...........
"HALLL you meand we can drink at lunch....... Give me some of that...... guzzle guzzle guzzle as he downs the glass of chiante and asks for another downing it again like he would an Old Milwaukee [laugh]
By the time they left the two hour lunch NORM and the rest of them would all be slapping those fine Italian booties and heading for the local biker bar..........
And we think we have problems getting parts now ::)

·
Registered
195 Posts
meccanica bologna said:
I would sell my Ducati's if they merged with Harley.
i might consider pushing mine off a bridge... it's bad enough being lumped in with the typical ducati martians- i don't think i could deal with the cultural implications of such a merger. maybe i could get an sv.

and i'm a real yuppie. seriously. i have a subaru outback and recycle and everything!

B

·
0 Posts
b.h. said:
why not?

don't want to be associated with that horseshit.

would be a slap to the face.

turd in the punchbowl,

piss in the wheaties,

**** 'em.

·
Registered
559 Posts
b.h. said:
are you serious?

Not to hard to figure out why I wouldn't want to own a Ducati anymore.

**** that.

I don't want a ducati dealership on every corner.

I don't want to see 100 people out somewhere with a ducati shirt on.

·
Registered
512 Posts
MonsterHooligan said:
I heard that same thing maybe 4 years ago too
Hmmm. I remember that also. It made me wonder "what would the boys in the back room at Bologna have to build to appease the Harley gods in Milwaukee?". Direct result was the first image of what I thought a Ducati cruiser/chopper would be and the Internet/magazine response it created. The feedback was so great that I ended up building it (and more for customers since)... and thus the creation of MotoCreations.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts