Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else here noticed that we always have some words about this place but it mostly stems from, " i know this guy and they gavehis bike back in pieces.....my friends uncles cousins brothers dogs roomate had some issue....so and so left i heard from ??? and now i just dont know". busy does not make a bad shop.

i would like to get a more clear review for all our sakes about Ducati Soho.

please write Positive or Negative at the top of your post and ONLY post if you have had dealings with them. please post what happened. ill go first.

POSITIVE [thumbsup]

i went there to get brake pads for my bike couple months ago. called them up, they said they had the part. i got there, they found it for me and it was your average price. nice guys, had exactly what i needed.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There have been several threads on the subject, do a search and you may find some more information too.

I'm personally friends with the guys down at Ducati Triumph NYC (yeah, that "Triumph" bit is new ;)), I help out there when I can so my opinion is not really unbiased. I'd like to think that I can offer a relatively objective opinion though (relatively to what? I don't know ;)).

They're great but far from perfect. I've had positive and negative experiences in the shop but *without fail* they've made the negatives right and I've been completely satisfied with the service I received prior to getting to know the guys and since.

For me, I'd prefer to deal with great people who aren't perfect than to save $10 or even $20 an hour, especially when there's so much travel involved.

Almost without exception, the people working at DTNYC are really great people and I'd happily deal with the odd drama to support them.

MAD POSITIVE[laugh]

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
POSITIVE

Went in for a belt change this season. I also asked them to give it a lookover cuz it was a new bike to me and i didnt know how well the previous guy took care of it.

Got it back and it ran great. They did take a few days but they changed my belts, adjusted the throttle, replaced the plugs and plugged my tail chop.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Positive. I have seem them go the extra mile to help a customer in distress. They are alsomore than willing to give advice to those who want to do some of their own wrench twirling.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
POSITIVE:
last summer was doing my first track days and wanted some kneesliders, mailordered a pair but didn't come in time. Stopped in the shop on the way somewhere else and asked if they had any. They didn't have any for sale at the time, so Fabian took a pair off a track suit and sold those to me, (he just ordered new ones to replace the ones he sold to me) [thumbsup]

NEGATIVE:
My only complaint is I think there was something wrong with the kneesliders he sold me, they must not work right.... :-[
because I never got a knee down [laugh]

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Positive
I bought a bunch of Ducati gear there, and they were pretty cool and helpful.
[thumbsup]

·
Registered
760 Posts
POSITIVE

They rock! I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

When the shop first opened Michelle and I went down there (literally when they first opened at their current location) and didn't know anyone and got a kind of snobbish vibe (but neither of us remember anyone's name). Again this is when the store first opened and that "vibe" has completely vanished and been replaced with the kind of warm welcome customer service and knowledge that I want/expect. Their prices are resonable for parts and even though there labor may be considered high. I think the level of quality (not to mention the location) warrants this. Bottom line I think they're worth it. I'm also biased cause I do all my own work, but what I've seen Mike do back there and after picking his brain a few times he/they're doing just the kind of attention I do myself.

Big thumbs up! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I've got nothing but great things to say about the folks at DucSoho. Everyone knows me by name and vice-a-versa, and I always feel very welcome there.

The sales and service staff will literally bend over backwards for you and will go way way way over and above the call of duty to help you out whether the store is open, closed, and whether or not they're on the clock or not. Like I've said, I've got nothing but great things to say about them.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Negative.

I brought a bike in to get some basic work done. Bike had 20k miles on it and was an early 90s SS.

The clutch plates were worn and I didn't feel like doing it myself. I brough in a set of plates (new) which I wanted them to use.

The mechanic said no problem -- should be a 1-2 hour job and he'll check eveything else out. I told him I was going out of town for 8 days and it was "no problem." I ok'ed the "check everything else out" comment

2 weeks later, I called in and the mechanic has been "let go". Bike is not ready. New mechanic says he found other problems with sprockets and fork tubes.

I came in to check it out and was told the front sprocket was "loose" but they tightened it, says no problem, no additional labour. The tubes were ok, there was oil on one part, but it did not reappear.

Becasue of the model, they are waiting on some part or tool to remove a piece. 3 weeks pass.

Call in again, they have the tool, but have moved the bike asied because of their workload and will start again in 1-2 weeks. Call in 2 wks later and they are staring on it "next week"

Call in week later, the bike is being worked on and will be ready in 2-3 days.

I come in 4 days later (no ones called me) (over 8 weeks after i dropped it off for a clutch pack change) and the bill says 6 hours of labour!! And no details.

I ask what is 6 hours for -- that I was told 1-2 hours.

Reply: (verbally, did not write it down, description on paper says "customer wants bike checked out!" BULLSHIT, I asked to have the clutch pack replaced)

1. Front sprocket was loose, we had to R&R and check splines and seal.
2. Your carbs were natty, we cleaned them.
3. Top triple nuts were not torqued correctly (??)
4. Your rear wheel was misaligned.
5. We had to buy the tool (??)

Well, I was pissed. My reply: (after inspecting my bike)

1. I was told there was no labour charge for this. The mech only said he was going to tighten it. I did not authorize any more work.
2. I just checked the paint nits I put on the manifold bolts and the paint is not broken. How did you remove and clean my carbs without removing the manifold bolts. (I paint all my nuts for this reason, no dumbass "nuts" comments)
3. The paint on the triple screws is not disturbed. How did you torque the scres without breaking paint.
4. How did you align the wheel without breaking the paint?
5. So if you bought the tool, does that make it mine? also, how does a "materials" purchase end up in the LABOUR column?

Basically, I was pissed as hell. The bill ended up being "adjusted" as a "courtesy" (is that like a rapist wearing a condom as a courtesy?) I called the DCA and filed a complaint as well.

I will not go their again.

G

·
NEUTRAL

I have visited the location several times in the past. They have an impressive set up compared to the other places I have been to. Never bought a bike there and most-likely won't, I'm from dirty jerz. They do get brownie points for the Duc day with BBoz.

From reading the post above it's either hit or miss with the service dept. So in all fairness I'm saying neutral...but I'm willing to give them a shot if the need ever arises.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Positive (mostly)...

I had recently acquired an 01 750 Monster. I tried to do most of the work myself. But when the time came for new tires, that's something I didn't want to have to mess with. Especially with balancing the new tires, mounting, etc. etc. Initially I called up Ducati Goldcoast thinking that they'll be chepaer and will probably have the tire I wanted. After speaking to the Service tech at Goldcoast, he told me that the tire I wanted (Metzlers) can be ordered and will cost approximately $225.00. And labor will probably anywhere between $90-120 bucks! Now that's the rear only! I told him I'll call him back.

Immediately I called Ducati Soho, trying to compare the prices a little. The Tech told me they don't carry the tire, but that I can bring in my own tires and they'll charge me only for the labor. And so I asked how much that'll run me, and he said about $65.00. So my choice was obvious. I went on-line and shopped for the tires I wanted and got both front and rear for $260 (free shipping). Made an appointment, brought my bike in the following weekend as my tires arrived. Two days later my bike was ready to go.

Now, the only thing that kinda bothered me was the "favor" they did for me. When the rear tire came off, they checked the rear brake pads and found that it was kinda low. Well, instead of calling me to confirm, they just went ahead and replaced it without my permission. Not, that I would mind, because in a way they were doing me a favor. But I just thought that it would've been nice if they had called and asked if I wanted to replace it. Beause that's probably something I wouldn't mind working on myself.

And I must admit, all the guys that work there seems like they actually like their job. And they want to help you, instead of feeling like an obligation to help you. Overall, positive experience.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
negative(mostly)

they don't serve anything but pizza there, which can grow tiring and bland after a while and they don't let me out much, except to go to the Ear Bar, then they make me come back. Plus I had more hair on my head before I ever entered those squeeky doors, walked through that dark corridor they call a showroom, then proceeded down those stairs into that dungeon of theirs where they fix bikes and keep parts and instruments of torture which they use frequently.

Atleast the sofa is comfortable.
Other than the above it's pretty cool. [laugh] [thumbsup]

·
Registered
189 Posts
POSITIVE.

I bought my bike there (it was a dealer's bike, from Cali). The price was right. Since the bike was used, they replaced slightly worn tires, as it would have not been 100% safe! A great start!

They treat me like family, know me by name and are 100% stand up characters.

I had the 6K service done and it worked better than when I first got it. Irish Mike is an excellent mechanic with great patience and commitment to his work.

A week and half after the 6K service (which occurred at 7.5k cause it is too fun to not ride) someone tried to steal it, as they messed up the entire ignition and other components that keep the bike locked. Stranded in front of my job, after 7 pm, I called them just to see if anyone was around. Gus and Mark came to troubleshoot my woes. With their help (and some of my crew members- big shouts to my boys!) I managed to push my bike back to their shop. Did I already say they were closed for the day? They diagnosed the problem and gave me an estimate on the spot, after hours!

After ordering all kinds of parts to repair the damage, some of which were delayed at customs, the guys over at Soho, scrapped up new parts from other bikes just to get me back on the road. It took a while as the extent of the damages (due to the attempted theft) was greater than anyone had predicted. I can't even list all of the things these guys did to get me out of their shop and back on the road. Trust me, when I write: THEY WENT WELL BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY TO HELP. It started with them meeting me after hours to help get the bike to the shop, to getting me back on the road. Plus they did not bill 1/10th of the hours they worked on it, since the problem was difficult to find.

It took a while to find the extent of the problems, plus the delay at customs, so it took a while longer than anyone anticipated, but it was not their fault. As I have mentioned in other post, these guys are busy and sometimes things get delayed. While they are my 'local shop' they are also the 'local shop' for a large percentage of the 567,000 riders in New York (By the end of 2003, there were more than 567,000 licensed motorcyclists in New York*).

Overall these guys are great. The mechanics (especially Irish Mike) are amazing. I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

*http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/mcyc-ndx.htm

1 - 20 of 36 Posts