Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ducati.com is offering the following:

Radial front end kit
Radial front end kit, complete with fully adjustable Ohlins forks, radial brake calipers and magnesium bottom yoke. Includes carbon front mudguard and racing brake disks.

SKU code #96615702B
This would be ideal for me seeing as how I need an entire new front end. However, I've yet to find a dealer who offers it. Has anyone heard anything about it or seen similar kits?

Thanks,

Epi

G

·
A few folks have simply bought front ends off a GSRX and then done the work to adapt the front wheel to fit.

Given that GSXR front ends can be had on ebay for 300-500 (including radial brakes) this is one way to save quite a bit of $$$.

Do a search and you should find the thread where it's discussed

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
If you don't want to change a bunch of stuff and retain most of the original Monster parts, we offer a billet fork bottom for about $800/pr. The Brembo 4 pad calipers are about $200 each.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
why not just use the whole gixxer front end? unless the spacing of the triples causes spacing issues. I'm sure you could find a front wheel on ebay with the forks for less than a grand. would you then have to buy the radial MCs and brake levers?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To clarify - when I say I need a new front end, I mean the ENTIRE front end... everything forward of the frame was trashed in the accident (dented rim, bent fork, mangled tripples and stem; torn cables and clutch hose; mangled light assembly, mirrors, signal lights, controls...) - as well as the rearset, and dented the tank and left engine cover. But, I'm on a budget - so it's going to be one piece at a time over the loooong-term.

For now, it's a matter of investigating the options so I can make informed decisions down the road. While the radial front end by Ducati.com is one option, I'm certainly open to whatever experience I can gleem.

eg. I never thought of getting a gsxr front end... I'll have to research that one (thanks for that).

{found this thread http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=57284.0}

So, would these work then?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSXR-2006-600-Complete-Front-End-W-O-tripletree_W0QQitemZ270047942811QQihZ017QQcategoryZ35592QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/gsxr-1000-complete-front-end-forks-2003-20004_W0QQitemZ220044191009QQihZ012QQcategoryZ35592QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-GSXR-LIMITED-HAYABUSA-COMPLETE-FRONT-END-FORKS_W0QQitemZ120045977086QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35592QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I couldn't find any information on what year/model GSXR would mesh...

Again, many thanks!

Epi

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I couldn't find any information on what year/model GSXR would mesh...

Again, many thanks!

Epi[/quote]

Epi

Any year 2003-2007 GSXR front end will work. You would want to get Monster triples again which should be readily available on ebay. The forks will bolt right in but machining spacers is needed to make a Ducati wheel and rotors fit.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terrapete, two things...

1) Excellent advice - thanks.

2) Sweet ride!!!

I'm starting to get my head around this and have put together a draft parts list. If anyone sees any issues of incompatibility let me know. One thing that concerns me is using monster triples with a GSXR wheel - does anyone know if the width between forks the same for both bikes?

Proposed Front end:

2006 GSXR 1000 forks (eBay); including GSXR wheel, rotors and radial brakes.

SpeedyMoto Monster Triple Clamp Set: http://secure.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SP&Product_Code=03-0208BLK&Category_Code=DMON

Cyclecat Clipons: I need to call them to find out what model will work out with this setup. Terrapete, how did you go about it?

Brembo "Goldline" Brake Master Cylinder: Late: http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=694&showDetail=1&categoryID=119|Ducati%20Brake%20Master%20Cylinders&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=master&collection=

Brembo "Goldline" Clutch Master Cylinder: Late: http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=442%7CDucati%20Clutch%3A&productID=521&showDetail=1&categoryID=445|Clutch%20Master%20Cylinder&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=165%7CClutch

(Moto, your thoughts on the Brembo controls?)

Other broken stuff that needs attention this year:

Alternator Cover (looking around)
Clutch hose (being fabricated... hmmm, maybe I should wait until I get the to the clip-ons phase so I'm certain that I get the right length?)
Sato Racing Rearset (gold in colour): http://www.motostrano-store.com/saradumos4rs.html

Looks like my suz-cati project is starting to take shape. Again many thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Episteme said:
I'm starting to get my head around this and have put together a draft parts list. If anyone sees any issues of incompatibility let me know. One thing that concerns me is using monster triples with a GSXR wheel - does anyone know if the width between forks the same for both bikes?

Proposed Front end:

2006 GSXR 1000 forks (eBay); including GSXR wheel, rotors and radial brakes.

SpeedyMoto Monster Triple Clamp Set
Cyclecat Clipons
Brembo "Goldline" Brake Master Cylinder
Brembo "Goldline" Clutch Master Cylinder
Looks like my suz-cati project is starting to take shape. Again many thanks for the input.
Epi

The Ducati triples are narrower. I think around 10mm. I have a CAD dwg showing the spacers needed for a Marchesini wheel and Brembo rotors. You'll want to use radial master cylinders if you can. I have the Brembo radial GP ones. Note that the GSXR caliper bolt spacing is 108mm instead of the Brembo 100mm. So make sure that you use the Tokico calipers and also the GSXR axle.

The Cycle Cat clip ons for a monster will be fine as they are the same diameter.

I wouldn't worry about it being a suz-cati. The stock Showa forks come from the same place....and Ohlins is now owned by Yamaha!! ;D

Pete

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
I prefer the GP master cylinder. I like the 19x18 better with the 4 pad calipers.

We have all the stuff on your list in stock. Sign up on our website for additional discounts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off - thanks again. I really appreciate your experience (and patience).

Right, let's see if I get it now:

Ducati Monster triple, stock (Marchesini) rim and (Brembo) brake rotors (which is good, since my rotors survived the crash).

Stock GSRX axle, forks and (Tokico) calipers (perfect, I've seen a few eBay packages that would do nicely).

Pete's spacers (snag CAD drawing for fabrication).

And finally, radial master cylinders.

Great! I think I'm getting the picture.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
If you use a GSXR fork with a Ducati wheel, I'm not sure if the rotor offset will be compatible. With radial calipers, you can not move the caliper in and out to change offset. Your only option is to space the rotor. Is this the spacers you are talking about?

I know exactly what you need if you go with Ducati Showas though. I see the SBK forks for about $350.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Episteme said:
First off - thanks again. I really appreciate your experience (and patience).
Right, let's see if I get it now:
Ducati Monster triple, stock (Marchesini) rim and (Brembo) brake rotors (which is good, since my rotors survived the crash).
Stock GSRX axle, forks and (Tokico) calipers (perfect, I've seen a few eBay packages that would do nicely).
Pete's spacers (snag CAD drawing for fabrication).
And finally, radial master cylinders.
Great! I think I'm getting the picture.
Yes, buy the master cylinders and speedymoto/cycle cat triples from moto, (keep our sponsors happy! ;D) Then, if you want to go the GSXR fork route, I will give you the info. [thumbsup] Wheels can even be the stock 3 spoke Brembos if you don't want to spend the money. Mine are the magnesium marchesinis which are great!
Any route that you go will be a huge improvement, and then you'll scream for more power!! >:D ...the mods never stop!!!!

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts