Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First time poster here! Let me say that this is a fine board - truly feels like a welcoming place and I do hope to spend a bit of time here.

I'm two shakes away from pulling the trigger on an S2r 1000. Actually, I don't have any questions about the bike - the 1k certainly fits the bill for my needs/desires. What I actually have questions about are the dealers!

I come from riding BMW's for quite a while. Current bike is a '95 BMW R1100RSL. I've managed to put around 30k on the bike in the past two years and have come to the conclusion that while the RSL might be the best two-up "sporty" bike out there, I find myself longing for something lighter, better handling, and with a better power-weight ratio. It's rather funny that I've gone from a K100RS (680#) to a ZX11 (605#) to the RSL (560#)...

Oh, and no fairing. V-Twin. Dry Clutch ringing preferred. And track capable. Well, track capable without dragging cylinders on the ground...

I whittled my choices down to either the Xb12r or the S2r 1k. And, being that I'm Italian there really is only one viable choice...

One thing I've learned is that the dealers need to be solid or it ruins the brand experience. Seaver BMW in Orange has been a spectacular example for any other brand to follow. Sadly Seaver doesn't sell Ducs. The closest Duc dealership is Brea Ducati - I swung by there and had a nice chat with the folks. Stuck me as decent enough folks - they pretty much offered me a test ride on an S2r 1k on the spot (Just come back with your gear and proof of insurance) - I figure to take them up on the ofer as soon as I can.

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Brea Ducati - Triumph. Any good? They claim to be the Press-Fleet service center for North America. If that's indeed true that could be a good sign.

Anyway, anyone deal with them?

Thanks!

(PS: The Duc dry clutch isn't that heavy. Feels almost the same as my RSL)

·
Registered
175 Posts
i work about 5 minutes from them, nice guys but they really stick it to you on service costs. they wanted 800+ just on labor alone for my 12k service, and it would be there for 4 days! i ended up just doing it myself, but my buddy has nothing but good things to say about spectrum motorsports, and good prices as well.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
xswimordiex said:
i work about 5 minutes from them, nice guys but they really stick it to you on service costs. they wanted 800+ just on labor alone for my 12k service, and it would be there for 4 days! i ended up just doing it myself, but my buddy has nothing but good things to say about spectrum motorsports, and good prices as well.
HA! I wouldnt give Spectrum the sweat off the backside of my sack. They may sell alot but their customer service and aftercare leads alot ti be desired.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Don't know about their service because I was quoted around $150 or $200 for oil change which the service manager said it's worth it because they check all the bolts blah blah stuff. That price was enough for me to feel like being ripped off. They are about 10mins from my house, but I ended up riding a hour to MRI in Canoga Park for Nick to service my bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ducman851 said:
HA! I wouldnt give Spectrum the sweat off the backside of my sack. They may sell alot but their customer service and aftercare leads alot ti be desired.
i'll keep that in mind, i've never personally gone there myself, just what i heard....well looks like i'll be mr mechanic for the rest of the time, since i trust myself to do a better and cheaper job than them!

·
Registered
241 Posts
My neighbor bought his 800SS from them; nothing but good stuff to say about the experience. I personally bought from ProItalia (Jake specifically); they too seem to be good folks (have had mixed experiences with parts staff, but that may be a function of me actually reading the schematics and some of them obviously not having done so).

You mileage my vary...

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I also bought from PI. They've been flexible when needed and always helpful. Good luck wherever you buy from the 1k has been trouble free for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.