Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 02 M620 has some problems. The metallic finish is blistering along the welds/seams on both sides of the engine. I take it to my dealer, who says it's not my fault-it's a finishing problem at the factory.

Then, he calls me back and says the warranty rep won't cover it! Countless visits to the dealer, phone calls to Ducati NA, and endless emails, and all I got was rejections.

Finally, I went back to the dealer to price new covers...while there, I look at the 04 M800 on the floor. Guess what? It's got one little blister along a weld!

So, I showed it to the service manager and emailed Ducati NA. I JUST got a call from Ducati NA saying they will cover it!

A little persistence, a little sweat, and never say die, and you just might get your way. Score one for the good guys!

PS: I'd be checking my engine cases if you've got an 02/03 Monster before your warranty expires. I only had one or two at first, but they're spreading like wild fire and I've only got 4700 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't, but along any crease/weld/seam on the cases is where to look. Basically, it looks like like a little "drip" of paint sticking up from the surface....it isn't smooth. I looked at all the Ducati's, Honda's, BMWs, and Yamaha's at my dealership and only the M800 had a spot about the size of a pencil lead on the left side. If it doesn't look like a perfect surface, it isn't....like I said, all the other bikes were ok but that M800 and my M620.

If you have a spot, don't wait! I didn't think it was anything--like a defect in the metal that was painted over. Next thing you know, they're everywhere.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Are you saying that it is possible on ALL paint finishes or just the metallic finishes? Actually, I am lost either way! Where is the infected area exactly??

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you can just see an (out of focus) blister under the "I"...there are several smaller ones as well

Here you can see blisters all along the top weld.

I have a couple other pictures I took today, but they didn't want to be resized :-/ They show the BAD parts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts