Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is one of the best threads on the forum, I love clip ons and also this lively discussion. Don't flame me but I actually now have have bar risers... why? With low bars my helmet would hit the back of my neck and speed hump- couldn't see forward very well. That's why I got a Monster instead of a Pani.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

better late than never! so i got my GF to sit on the bike and i took a pic so you guys can have an idea of what the riding position is like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very interesting but it does seem to be quite a reach (in my opinion), but then we don't know if your GF is 4"8' or 6' 2", and obviously that would make a difference.

It definitely looks the part for a bike that would be ridden on high speed twisties though.
Personally I can't see it working for me as I would have a tank bag for overnighters but I'm sure you've already decided for yourself if you are satisfied with that set-up.

I must admit that it is a very nice bike though and you must be having a blast with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ever since i bought this bike i wanted to put clip ons on it. i knew it was gonna be uncomfortable but it was gonna look cool. afterall if i wanna be comfortable i'll just ride the harley ;)

the main issue on getting clip ons to fit the monster 1200S is that there are not many options due to the 57mm fork diameter. after measuring around the only other bike that has forks that big is the base 1199/1299. so that opened up clip on options. i ended up finding an opened but never installed Woodcraft 12-0157 Black Clipons set for base 899, 1199 and 1299 Panigale (57mm forks)

Since this woodcraft are 2 piece, you dont have to remove the forks to install them.

installation was a breeze. I just removed the headlight, removed the handlebar assemblies and installed the clip ons. then drilled the holes for the controls on the clip on bars and i was good to go!

Now the hard part is the headlight. since clearances are so tight I had to trim the headlight bracket to make room for the clip on assembly. I cut about 3mm in and about 7mm long. sanded it to gave it shape and make it look OEM then repainted the assembly . as you can see from the pics it looks like it came out of the factory like that! I used wrinkle black paint.

once the bracket was done, everything went back in nice an easy. there was some rerouting and wiggling cables around but nothing too hard.

and here is the final product:

The forks are tapered just below the tripple clamp!! So how do you install the clip-ons safely ? Is it sitting flat gripped ? thanks for helping, I'm in the processe right now but I have doubt...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd be curious of this as well! About to pick up a MY17 1200S and have always been interested in this mod since riding an older Monster with clipons

41 - 46 of 46 Posts