Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
1200r are cursed with longer wheelbase and raked out steering.
...which adds to stability at higher speeds and further assisted with an Ohlins steering damper.
The 1200R is also blessed with light forged wheels which makes all the difference for superior handling.
Both of the above are premium features not found in lessor models.
Moreover, the 1200R has more lean-angle clearance than pre-2017 models (not sure about 2017 and later models).

Registered
Having owned a 1290r for 6 years and now have a late 1200s .
Both bikes brake the same, power and feel.
The KTM is dramatically faster.
The Ducati handles and rails corners far better than the KTM.
The KTM would slaughter the Ducati on track.
The Ducati would outrun the KTM on a twisty road.
The Ducati is far better looking. Often get complementary remarks on its appearance. In 6 years of ownership never had a complementary comment on the KTM.
The above comments apply to late model 1200s only.
1200r are cursed with longer wheelbase and raked out steering.
Your experience with the KTM is on a series 1. The series 3 1290R is leaps and bound ahead of both series 1 and 2. I feel I could easily out run my heavily modified 1200s.
馃挴% agree the 1200s is a better looking bike. Better sounding also.

The wheel base on the 1200R is not caused by a longer swingarm and more rake angle. The fork tube on the R are longer increasing the front half wheel base and trail.
The 8mm longer shock absorber, changes the angle of the rear swingarm which lengthens the rear half of the wheel base. Its not alot. Only a few millimetres irc. The overall difference is 60mm

Registered
Rake on 1200R is 24.3 degrees.
1200S rake is 23.3.
1200S has 20mm shorter swingarm and overall 24 mm shorter wheelbase. ,1485 vs 1509. The figures the 1200S should be a quicker handling bike.
Somehow I don't think the figures are all correct. The 1200 has the same rake as the R, and a wheel base of 1511mm.

Is there a place you can get all 3 1200 model specs

Registered
Figures are for post 2017 1200S. I believe 1200R was never updated and uses early 1200S spec frame and swingarm. I have not ridden gen3 KTM. It may be latest frame and suspension puts it more on par with with the Ducati.

Somehow I don't think the figures are all correct. The 1200 has the same rake as the R, and a wheel base of 1511mm.

Is there a place you can get all 3 1200 model specs
My figures are correct. 1200R uses early 1200 frame and geometry. You can get all measurements from
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

www. motorcyclespecs.co.za

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Rake on 1200R is 24.3 degrees.
1200S rake is 23.3.
1200S has 20mm shorter swingarm and overall 24 mm shorter wheelbase. ,1485 vs 1509. The figures the 1200S should be a quicker handling bike.
About: The figures the 1200S should be a quicker handling bike.
Not necessarily.
Rake, trail and wheelbase may not compensate for lighter forged wheels. That's where an extra $3000 comes from. Then, there's the Supercorsa SP's which are nimbler than the Rossa II's & III'. Then there's more ground clearance to the foot pegs. It adds up.

Registered
I noticed that bike, the mileage ($24K miles) is a problem. Is it likely to be a money sink?
Did you have any problems with the rear brake, frequent bleeding needed?
Rear brake hose needed? High prices for parts in general?

Registered
I noticed that bike, the mileage ($24K miles) is a problem. Is it likely to be a money sink?
If that bike has been serviced regularly, it won't have any problems. I have friends with Ducati's that have over 50k on the clock and they are just as reliable.

Everyone is having rear brake problems. There is a thread about, o
It is called 1200S No Rear Brake...again
I chime in on page 3, and mention how to fix it. Im a heavy rear brake user, and I never lose the rear brake.
Those that followed my advice have had the same success as I have had

Registered
Bike was serviced professionally as per the schedule. It got a recall job on the rear brake so it actually worked. Great bike that I sold only because we were moving 150 miles from the nearest Ducati dealer, and the only shop around here specializes in HD and works on some "foreign" bikes. :rolleyes:

I don't think it will eat more money than other Ducatis, but they are not cheap to service or buy parts for. Dealer should have put on new tires and brake pads.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts