Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I say? Ducati no longer has the big Monster in their current line-up.
Very hard to accept given that the Monster saved Ducati's ass from bankruptcy back in the 90's.

· Registered
154 Posts
The Super Duke is a beast, and blows the 1200 monster to the weeds in all aspects except for looks, but beauty is personal. It's power, delivery, handling and it is capability to stop, all exceed the 1200s and R. The Evo 3 is so much fun to ride.

I don't agree that the R9T is a better looking bike. It is definitely not my taste.

· Registered
26 Posts
I think that when Ducati bifurcated the naked bikes into the Monster and SF they started to head in this direction. The SF became more of what the S4*s were and the Monster started to head almost back to entry level Ducati. Not quite a Scrambler, but close...

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Super Duke is a beast, and blows the 1200 monster to the weeds in all aspects except for looks, but beauty is personal. It's power, delivery, handling and it is capability to stop, all exceed the 1200s and R. The Evo 3 is so much fun to ride.

I don't agree that the R9T is a better looking bike. It is definitely not my taste.
Hi Matt, I think that's a reach.
Ok I may be biased here but the Super Duke 1260 R does not blow the Monster R by any stretch.
It may have a power advantage but gives some, if not all, of that back with a weight disadvantage especially the Duke's heavier wheels and rotating mass.
I also have to question about the Monster's handling and stopping power deficiencies given that it's lighter, has lighter forged wheels and Brembo M50 brakes.

Both bikes don't compare with the Tuono however.
According to 44teeth.com "much like a Super Duke R, it’s not the most stable under severely swift changes of direction, though far less sketchy than the KTM."
Moreover, (and I quote) "the Monster's gearbox is not made from Gorgozola like the KTM's."
A track shootout would probably put that "blows the 1200 monster to the weeds" comment to bed if I can find one.
I think it would all come down to the rider in the seat.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
154 Posts
Hi Matt, I think that's a reach.
Ok I may be biased here but the Super Duke 1260 R does not blow the Monster R by any stretch.
It may have a power advantage but gives some, if not all, of that back with a weight disadvantage especially the Duke's heavier wheels and rotating mass.
I also have to question about the Monster's handling and stopping power deficiencies given that it's lighter, has lighter forged wheels and Brembo M50 brakes.

Both bikes don't compare with the Tuono however.
According to 44teeth.com "much like a Super Duke R, it’s not the most stable under severely swift changes of direction, though far less sketchy than the KTM."
Moreover, (and I quote) "the Monster's gearbox is not made from Gorgozola like the KTM's."
A track shootout would probably put that "blows the 1200 monster to the weeds" comment to bed if I can find one.
I think it would all come down to the rider in the seat.

View attachment 230081
You need to ride the New 1290 Evo.
On paper it may not look like has much of an advantage. But get on it and take 1 for a ride, Im sure you will think differently of it then. Im a taller rider at 6.1, and the 1290 was also more comfortable then the Monster.

In performance, when I was doing 160 mph through a corner on the R, I was doing 165 on the 1290 and it felt easier. The 1290 Evo also has more lean angle the the R, and even though the Evo hasn't got M40 calipers as the R has. It was able to pull the bike up quicker.

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to ride the New 1290 Evo.
I would love to ride one. I have been on several Ducati ride days as well as Yamaha and Honda where I have always positioned myself as the second rider behind the leader. The leaders are usually fast guys and I don't get bogged-down in the traffic behind me. That way, I get to explore the bike's potential.
Regrettably KTM does not offer ride days and our local KTM dealer does not have any demos.
I'm sure my wife would like the color match. Haha.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Matt Dennis
Hi Matt,
I have two Ducatis: a Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak and a Monster 1200R.
I traded my previous Panigale 959 for the MTS1260PP because I wanted something for two-up riding on occasion.
My wife wasn't confident enough to keep her Honda CBR 300 and purchased a Miata.
However, I have now found a renewed appreciation for the Multi even though we never ride two-up.
The Monster is a hoot to ride. Moreover, I've spent a king's ransom on upgrades including stuff you don't really see here such as Comfort seat, ECU flash, lithium battery, quick change carrier, Annitori QS, Sprint Filter and more carbon on the dark side.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

I miss the Pani and eyeing the new S1000RR. Consequently, I'm somewhat soul searching right now as to which one I should trade, if at all?

· Registered
27 Posts
In performance, when I was doing 160 mph through a corner on the R, I was doing 165 on the 1290 and it felt easier. The 1290 Evo also has more lean angle the the R, and even though the Evo hasn't got M40 calipers as the R has. It was able to pull the bike up quicker.
160 mph !!! on a naked through a corner, HAHAHAHAHA BS is a Sin. Monster 1200R top speed listed at 255kmh = 158mph

· Registered
14 Posts
@Matt Dennis
Hi Matt,
I have two Ducatis: a Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak and a Monster 1200R.
I traded my previous Panigale 959 for the MTS1260PP because I wanted something for two-up riding on occasion.
My wife wasn't confident enough to keep her Honda CBR 300 and purchased a Miata.
However, I have now found a renewed appreciation for the Multi even though we never ride two-up.
The Monster is a hoot to ride. Moreover, I've spent a king's ransom on upgrades including stuff you don't really see here such as Comfort seat, ECU flash, lithium battery, quick change carrier, Annitori QS, Sprint Filter and more carbon on the dark side.
View attachment 230083
I miss the Pani and eyeing the new S1000RR. Consequently, I'm somewhat soul searching right now as to which one I should trade, if at all?
What an awesome looking bike!!!

Quick question: have you had any issues whatsoever with the Annitori QS? Mine kept cutting the power and making the bike stall when I was downshifting towards a stop light and no amount of messing with the sensitivity made it work correctly. It was very frustrating so I ended up disabling it. Made for an expensive red shifter.

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What an awesome looking bike!!!

Quick question: have you had any issues whatsoever with the Annitori QS? Mine kept cutting the power and making the bike stall when I was downshifting towards a stop light and no amount of messing with the sensitivity made it work correctly. It was very frustrating so I ended up disabling it. Made for an expensive red shifter.
Thanks.
About the QS: It's only upside QS. No downshifting QS.
It was working extremely well for the last 4 years with no issues whatsoever. But it stopped working now and I have not looked at the issue. It will have to wait until the spring.

· Registered
14 Posts
About the QS: It's only upside QS. No downshifting QS.
It was working extremely well for the last 4 years with no issues whatsoever. But it stopped working now and I have not looked at the issue. It will have to wait until the spring.
Cool - you got 4 more years of use than I did! :LOL: In all seriousness, good luck with the issue and hope it's a quick fix for you.

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool - you got 4 more years of use than I did! :LOL: In all seriousness, good luck with the issue and hope it's a quick fix for you.
Even if I had the money, I can't see me trading anything for 2023 as prices are ridiculusly out of reality. Consequently, If I can't get the QS to run I'll buy another unit. The QS is a fun feature for me.

· Registered
9 Posts

Having owned a 1290r for 6 years and now have a late 1200s .
Both bikes brake the same, power and feel.
The KTM is dramatically faster.
The Ducati handles and rails corners far better than the KTM.
The KTM would slaughter the Ducati on track.
The Ducati would outrun the KTM on a twisty road.
The Ducati is far better looking. Often get complementary remarks on its appearance. In 6 years of ownership never had a complementary comment on the KTM.
The above comments apply to late model 1200s only.
1200r are cursed with longer wheelbase and raked out steering.

· Registered
49 Posts
I don't think the Monster 1200 gets enough credit for being the Ducati equivalent of a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle, an old term for "standard" bikes). It is near-sportbike in most street-riding conditions, comfortable enough for a longer journey and works great two up. And, has enough "personality" and rough-edges to be more than a boring commuter bike.

But, unfortunately, as bikes become more pushed to the limits in their "segment", I can see where such a bike is not selling in numbers that make keeping it worthwhile.

Not that I won't miss it. The smaller bike is nice, but missing a bit.

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reading all the great posts here, I think the Monster is the middle ground and fits in between the Diavel and the Streefighter.
Then again, who knows what the Directors at Ducati thinks?

· Registered
40 Posts
I've noticed the 1290 EVO as well and I think it's probably a wicked bike. I'd love to have one myself and it's interesting to see other Monster1200 owners have had similar thoughts. That said, I have to say, my Monster 1200 fits me well. Not just in terms of ergonomics, but the cost (bought a used one with about 5000 kms on it last year), the power is plenty, it handles excellent on the streets (for me at least), love the the VTwin sound, and I find it to be one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever owned.(Except for the heat it gives off on a hot day) I can wrench on it myself for most things, and it's proven so far to be reasonably reliable. (Other than my odometer reading completely disappearing...)
All in all, though I'd probably love to have the new KTM, I'm hoping to get a good few riding seasons out of this Monster before I look for something else. There was a new EVO selling here for $18,500 CDN at a dealer this past fall, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't give it some serious thought, but my Monster cost quite a bit less than the new EVO and I'm really looking forward to riding it again when this snow disappears in the spring.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed the 1290 EVO as well and I think it's probably a wicked bike. I'd love to have one myself and it's interesting to see other Monster1200 owners have had similar thoughts. That said, I have to say, my Monster 1200 fits me well. Not just in terms of ergonomics, but the cost (bought a used one with about 5000 kms on it last year), the power is plenty, it handles excellent on the streets (for me at least), love the the VTwin sound, and I find it to be one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever owned.(Except for the heat it gives off on a hot day) I can wrench on it myself for most things, and it's proven so far to be reasonably reliable. (Other than my odometer reading completely disappearing...)
All in all, though I'd probably love to have the new KTM, I'm hoping to get a good few riding seasons out of this Monster before I look for something else. There was a new EVO selling here for $18,500 CDN at a dealer this past fall, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't give it some serious thought, but my Monster cost quite a bit less than the new EVO and I'm really looking forward to riding it again when this snow disappears in the spring.
Having owned both, the KTM is a lot faster but thats it. Monster 1200 has a lot nicer suspension and handles far better is is better balanced.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts