Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any reputable mechanics in the Austin + surrounding areas??

I checked with Mototek / Ducati Austin here in town and they want $75 just for a diagnostics + estimate, then it's $90/hr + parts to fix whatever they find.

Normally, I handle all of my own service issues, but this one has me stumped and I don't have a garage to tear her down, fix her and put her back together again [don't worry she is protected by the mostly wonderful 'Bike Barn']

I know Victory of Austin also services Ducs, but was unsure of their reputation.

If it makes a difference: 2001 M600 Dark [approx. 4500 miles]

I'm a fairly new owner [since oct.] and am new to the DOC world.
So I'm looking to y'all for your experiences and advice.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments and I look forward to getting her back on the road and being able to ride with all of you.

-LouDogg-

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
what's the problem?

depending on the issue, we could possibly figure it out here and then one of the locals I'm sure would be more than happy to have you come by and offer some space and tools to try to resolve the problem.

fwiw, those prices from mototek really aren't that bad (hourly rate's gone up iirc, but they did just move into downtown too, so rent's not exactly cheap)

'diagnostics' in your case at least has no computers associated... in any case...

there was the place that completely impressed me with their willingness to help a wrecked rider AFTER they had closed already when I crashed last year, Austin Sports Cycles. Motorpd gets her bike serviced there and the techs there are very helpful.
they're out off 620 though, so depends on how far you want to go...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been several problems that I've worked through, but currently it idles fairly wildly between 3000 and 5000 rpm’s with full choke and dies after turning it off.

This is the progression from a problem that I had of riding for a ½ hour or so and the bike beginning to lose power [lugging very hard] and eventually dying…wait 15-20 mins it starts up again, ride for about 15 mins, dies again…wait 20-30 mins it starts up again, ride about 5 mins, dies again.

So I'm not sure if there's a problem with the fuel delivery [pump, carbs, etc] or if the timing is off or...??

Any help would be appreciated, I was just trying to get back in the saddle ASAP...as it's already been about a month and I'm slowly losing my sanity.

I live North off Braker Lane, right by Central Texas Harley and Woods Fun Center, so 620 really isn't that far for me...[really easy to get into the hills for a quick ride ;D...when I have a working bike :'(]

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
how many miles on the bike and when was the last time you had any carb work done?

sounds like some new needle jets and a carb sync are in order...

if your timing was off, you would know IMMEDIATELY...

do you have the emissions stuff removed? do you have the small triangular grey pods on the front of the bike removed?

the pumps are known to go bad, so that could be an issue, best way to check flow is to pop the output hose off and thumb the starter a couple of times, the fuel should pulse out...

the original problem you had sounds like you had a kinked vent hose on the fueltank... does that still happen where you ride and it dies after a period of time?

if it does still happen, next time it does, pop the gas cap open and let us know if you hear a quick 'whoosh,' telltale sign that the line is blocked or kinked...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are approx. 4500 miles and I have not done / had any carb work done

I figured it was probably something with the carbs [as I had just got her running after a pump / fuel delivery issue]

Nothing has been removed as of yet...not even the fork reflectors :-[

I'm not sure if it would still be happening as I haven't been able to get her to stay running long enough to find out.
As soon as the choke is turned off, the engine dies

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
ideally, you shouldn't need to work the choke longer than half a minute or so... I never put the choke up full on my bike...

what do your spark plugs look like when you pull them out? and are both cylinders running?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know...even when she was running, I'd need close to 30 secs at full choke...
Then another 30 or so at 1/2...
Even that wouldn't get her up to an idling temperature...
So then I'd have to let her idle [no choke] for another minute or so, before being able to pull away without too much fuss.

Last time I checked the plugs [about 1 1/2 months ago] they seemed fine...no fouling, fairly clean, correct gap
I had some NGK Iridiums on hand and put those in [thinking the plugs may have been part of the problem I was working on at the time], but they had no positive effect...so I put the Champions back in...got her running like a top and a few weeks / couple hundred miles later all this started happening.

I really hadn't thought to check if both were running or not lately, but I'm almost positive they were last time I was listening for it [with a mechanics stethoscope]

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
LouDogg said:
I know...even when she was running, I'd need close to 30 secs at full choke...
Then another 30 or so at 1/2...
Even that wouldn't get her up to an idling temperature...
So then I'd have to let her idle [no choke] for another minute or so, before being able to pull away without too much fuss.

Last time I checked the plugs [about 1 1/2 months ago] they seemed fine...no fouling, fairly clean, correct gap
I had some NGK Iridiums on hand and put those in [thinking the plugs may have been part of the problem I was working on at the time], but they had no positive effect...so I put the Champions back in...got her running like a top and a few weeks / couple hundred miles later all this started happening.

I really hadn't thought to check if both were running or not lately, but I'm almost positive they were last time I was listening for it [with a mechanics stethoscope]
easy way to check is to run the bike a bit from cold and then touch the heads or headers (careful of course) to see...

another thing you might want to try is to check the spark output coming from both plugs, the ignition units could be degrading, etc...

hahahaha, so yeah, lots of stuff to check, question is if you want to try to work it yourself, or rather just pay someone to diagnose it...

if you'd like to continue to try to figure it out yourself with our help here, go ahead and check/try some of the stuff above out and come back with what happens and we can go on...

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I live up by Braker and Metric... not too far down from you. be happy to ride down and take a look at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
factor:

That'd be very helpful...
However it's supposed to be raining all weekend, so I'm not exactly sure when we'd be able to schedule a time that we wouldn't get soaked...
Again I don't have a covered space to tear her down in.

But whenever the skies clear I may take you up on that offer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your welcome to my garage, but I a ways off from your place. I'm out 71 west of bee cave - about a 45 minute drive from your place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like the bike's running lean. Probably a vacuum leak or carbs need to be rebuilt. My guess is built around the need for choke for so long. If you choke the bike then you are forcing it to run richer. If you have to run choke longer than normal then some basic setting is off (like primary jet) or the bike has a vacuum leak and you have to compensate with the choke. If you haven't fixed the problem yet you could try to find the vacuum leak by spraying around carbs with carb cleaner. When you hit the point with the leak the revs will raise up.

As far as Duc mechanics in the Austin area... I haven't worked with MotoTek since they took over the Ducati dealership. But I'll give my $.02 based off of second hand knowledge..... The best Duc Tech that I know (he's left the professional wrenching business) is friends with Jay at MotoTek. It turns out that my Monster was purchased at the Mototek shop when it was still Aprilla. My buddy contacted Jay and got the lowdown on the bike before I purchased. So my humble opinion after doing minimal business with him is that he's trying to do honest business. I've also heard of unhappy customers but I haven't seen those customers go back to get satisfaction for their issues. So basically, I'm saying I've heard positive and negatives. I'll be buying my parts from him and if I have issues I plan on letting him know I have issues. Until he screws me or someone who's opinion I respect, I will purchase parts and whatever else from MotoTek. Later, Dave

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
http://austinsportscycles.com/ducati.html is one I found but have no experience with them. Its nice they list service prices on their website. Any one tried this place?
I am in the same boat as ysr_squid regarding Mototek. I haven't had any first hand experience with them.

Servizio Motocicletta Italiano
1807 West Slaughter Ln Austin, TX 78748

The guy running this "shop" is the parts manager at Lone Star BMW of Austin. He seems like a good guy and I've heard he does good work from another BMW'er/Ducati owner.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I'm with sooperdooper. I've no personal experience (yet) since I've got warranty
through July '07 on my '05 S4R but I've heard the best Ducati mechanic in Austin
works at the BMW dealership. This is also from a BMW & Duc owner. (Mine
works at the Porche dealership sooperdooper, don't know if we're talkin' about
the same fellow.) Personally I plan on giving him a try when it's my wallet
vs. the S4R.

Have a good'un..........MickyD

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I dunno, I think the best ducati mechanic in Austin was 'cello, it's a shame he doesn't do it anymore (well, commercially anyways)...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The gentleman I ended up taking my bike to is Randy Smith [thanks Mr. Davis [thumbsup]]...I believe he is the same guy that most of you are referring to.

He works full-time at Lonestar and works on Ducs + Guzzis out of his garage in his spare time for extra cash.
He DEFINITELY KNOWS his stuff [don't mistake him for a shade tree], and is about as honest + upfront a guy as you're going to meet.

I'll be getting my bike back later this week and I'll let you know how everything turns out, but I don't forsee anything happening that will make me retract what I've said thus far.

Contact Info:

Servizio Motocicletta Italiano

Randy & Teresa Smith
201 Verdin Dr.
Garden Apt.
Buda, TX 78610
(512) 496-0847

Make sure you call him in advance as you WILL have to set up an appointment...his name has traveled fast and when I dropped my bike off there were about 5 or 6 other bikes there for service, restoration, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts