Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

I was ridding the other day, and after a rainy day, i started to have this issue, the ligth is always on althougth when is on neutral the ligth is stronger.
I was woundering if someone had the same problem.
The obvious guess is that is some kind of bad contact and with the humidity it is acting up, but some weeks have past and either is still water some were that i cant find and is still acting up. Doenst make a lot of sense to me.
I f you have any teories i would apreciate.
(sorry for the bad grammar)

Thanks once more.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It will most likely be the switch, very common issue, The plastic cover gets old, separates and moves.
It's located on crankcase just rear of clutch cover. once located, try to give it a twist, if the outer cover is loose then your light will be dim
most of the time. sometimes twisting will make it come good for a while.
They are not expensive. To replace can be a bit tricky, as it's almost impossible to get a ring spanner onto it, I have done a few, either trace the single wire back to the connector and separate the wire from the plug, or, as I do, just cut the wire, slip the ring spanner over, install new one and solder the wires and use shrink tubing to cover bare wires. Make sure to use the same washer as the depth of the probe is set to locate neutral.

number 6 in diagram.

White Font Line Art Auto part

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will most likely be the switch, very common issue, The plastic cover gets old, separates and moves.
It's located on crankcase just rear of clutch cover. once located, try to give it a twist, if the outer cover is loose then your light will be dim
most of the time. sometimes twisting will make it come good for a while.
They are not expensive. To replace can be a bit tricky, as it's almost impossible to get a ring spanner onto it, I have done a few, either trace the single wire back to the connector and separate the wire from the plug, or, as I do, just cut the wire, slip the ring spanner over, install new one and solder the wires and use shrink tubing to cover bare wires. Make sure to use the same washer as the depth of the probe is set to locate neutral.

number 6 in diagram.

View attachment 228014
Is there anyway to test the sensor?
Also where can I buy a switch like that?

Thanks a lot by the way.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's a simple on/off switch, the probe rod simply gets pushed in or out by ident. in gear shaft or selector shaft.
Once removed, connect it (ground the body to crankcase, if only one wire). push probe in, it should spring itself out. check light on dash.
If you have parts catalog for your model, use part number to search ebay or the like. BUT, there are different types. dealer probably best, they are not expensive.
early ones had a single wire, later ones had two wires, and some were shorter depending on model of bike.
As I said, the plastic sometimes separates from the body of the switch and causes some current to flow when supposed to be off, ie dim light all the time. except in neutral where it works full on.
If this plastic is cracked or loose, or the probe does not spring itself out after testing, the switch needs replacing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a simple on/off switch, the probe rod simply gets pushed in or out by ident. in gear shaft or selector shaft.
Once removed, connect it (ground the body to crankcase, if only one wire). push probe in, it should spring itself out. check light on dash.
If you have parts catalog for your model, use part number to search ebay or the like. BUT, there are different types. dealer probably best, they are not expensive.
early ones had a single wire, later ones had two wires, and some were shorter depending on model of bike.
As I said, the plastic sometimes separates from the body of the switch and causes some current to flow when supposed to be off, ie dim light all the time. except in neutral where it works full on.
If this plastic is cracked or loose, or the probe does not spring itself out after testing, the switch needs replacing.
Happy new year to you all.

As far as I know, only has one wire altought the connector has two connections.
But for me it looks like it is just metal and no plastic only the wire itself, I look around on the internet and probably I only find the new ones.

Thanks a lot for all the help, you have no idea how much I have learned with you.
Safe rides!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes, as in diagram the single wire one also has a double connector, which is why it's almost impossible to get a 'ring' spanner over it.
Try to see if you can tighten it. only one wire means it is earthed through crankcase. if not tight then bad earth may also cause fault.
But for me it looks like it is just metal and no plastic only the wire itself,
any chance of a picture, I've never seen one that does not have the plastic cover over the wire. (cone shape, in diagram) it could have broken off and exposed the connectors inside.
any water in there would not help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts