Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Ducati Monster 1100 S
62 Posts
Hmmmm, I put a Sargent seat on and did not encounter any issues as you bring forth. Bike is second hand to me and had a fender eliminator or whatever they call it ....

But, I can offer some insight to your dilemma if you wish. I work as a measurement engineer ... so I could collect data from my OEM Ducati seat pan, then get same data from my Sargent seat pan, and if possible give you some meaningful guidance on how to ascertain if your Corbin seat pan was made correctly. Failing the latter, you could send me your seat pan and I could do a forensic measurement investigation. Winter is here soon... so ... if you had credible data to defend a stance that Corbin sold inferior product then a solution might be offered by them. Let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
LOL, you are describing a misfit visible by a rotation around some pivot point.
So, it would appear that the two engagement pins are not in correct place.
What we should do is ...
1. I will measure my M1100S seat pan with metrology equipment and then translate the critical points into a measurement that you can do without sending you seat to me.

If, you had access to a laser scanner or any measurement device, we could really nail down the issue. This would be fun!

Plastic is not STEEL!

let me know

·
Registered
62 Posts
my OEM seat pan is in the car and will be measured tomorrow. After that I will reduce the data to terms you can comprehend with a ruler and a few basic tools like scissors, paper, and a plastic protractor.
I have the OEM seat and a Sargent set so I can measure both seat pans ( yes the plastic base is the seat pan.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have got to say that the Corbin seat base looks awful. Both of my seat bases look professional, but I do not like the Sargent seat and I must give them drawings to sculpt the foam to my requirements.

Okay, tomorrow we measure, then I will analyze and report back, so hang on for a few days so that I get this expressed in a clear manner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Measurement Update 1:
I have a stock seat measured. Interesting observations.
Remove your seat. Stand behind the taillight and line your vision down along the black subframes and see the difference between the left and right sides. The right side dips lower. The frame is not symmetrical. So, stock seat has accounted for this height difference at support points. If the corbin seat is supported symmetrically at the two cushions directly under the riders seat then that could be an issue.

I also take issue with corbin putting the cushions under the rider to be supported by your fuel cell. HELLO CORBIN! From you photo the corbin does not appear to account for the asymmetrical frame lines.

Analysis will continue but in the meantime if would be worth considering the following:
a. Is the seat distorting when you sit on it. Engage a witness and video the any seat movement when occupied. Set it up on a car jack or blocks.
b. Is the seat skin too tight and pulling the tail up when you sit on it
c. To measure any place where there should be contact with a support cushion you can use a soft candy like a wrapped salt water taffy....size the candy appropriately, wrap it back up and place them at all of the points you want to investigate. Then you can have physical evidence of the gaps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since we have the same bike I want to ask you when you last greased the swingarm pivot? I cringed at the Ducati manual service instructions so I developed a way to replace the pivot with a modified pivot complete with grease and grease holes ... I engineered the whole system. It took me 30 minutes to swap the pivot and grease the bearings. I have written a paper on the project just for laughs. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It drives me nuts crazy .... being forced forward all the time .... I have plans to build a foam model for the seat pros to copy ... when I wear full leathers the issue is not so annoying but with jeans the sliding forward aggravates the lower spine.
I installed 1" taller Rizoma bars and opted for a Sargent seat with lowered profile ... but still need to get the bars up a bit for long riding comfort.
Let me know how it goes and you are most welcome. I learned a lot too from this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts