Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal I have been riding bike since I was 15 I'm 35 now. I currently own a 1982 Fxr Harley 1340 for sale, a drz400 enduro For sale and Just sold a Honda CR125. I love to ride but have never owned or ridden a real sport bike (crotch rocket). There is a reason for this and it's because I'm afraid I won't be able to control myself when sitting in that forward down position. I don't mean control of the bike. I mean control of my wrist from going full throttle all the time. I'm kind of a nut with the speed so I have always stayed away from these types of bikes. I was thinking about buying a monster 620 to keep me in check but I think it would bore me. Maybe a 750 or 800 I think if I go above a 900 it's all over. Is this the case or will I ride a ducati like I ride the bikes now.

I like the monster and the SS aside from looks what's the power difference in the same size cc. Which is a better all around cruise around all day and lean into turn type of bike. I would like to spend under 3000.00 and I'm not to concerned with looks but don't want a wrecked, crashed or fixed bike. What year CC and model would you all suggest. I'm a solid rider and I know my way around a bike inside and out. I don't want to have to fix the ike though I want a get on it an go.
One more question is there any difference in The Senna aside from the colors cause they seem to be priced higher. I live in NJ so if anyone has one to sell or trade reach out.

I'm sure someone went through this the urge to have a sport bike is insane!

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Under $3000.00 isn't going to get you much in the way of a Ducati unless it's kind of old and beat. Either that or it'll be a salvage title. Don't get me wrong, if you wait long enough, are patient and consistent with your search you can find one. Apart from that, if you've been wanting a sportbike type bike because you are feeling the urge, don't be afraid of the big bores. Maybe stay with the 2 valve, air cooled so you won't face too much tempatation. They're a nice mix of cruise and race like riding.

·
Registered
541 Posts
3k gets you nowhere in Duc land.

Monsters are great for commuters and medium trips. I'm in love with my 02 620.....go demo a 620 or a 695 and see what you think.

·
Registered
175 Posts
$3200 got me into duc land ;D a 98 with 10k on the clock though. but not bad, and it sure as hell beats my old ride. if you're afraid to go fast get a naked bike, ie monster. above 80 and the wind gets pretty intense unlike a full fairing bike. that's why i went with a naked anyhow.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
3k is a bit slim but 4k can easily get you into monsterdom. Think about it, it's worth it. If you like speed but want control, the 750s are actually quite nice. Torquey and a lot of fun, just lacking on the top end, especially because of the 5 speed. The s2r is a nice and very pretty bike, but you're not going to get a decent one in the price range you're looking for.

If you wanted to get a 900, you can probably find one in the 93-97 vintage with a little higher number on the clock under 4k if you're patient.

Whatever you do, we'll be happy to welcome you here.

Justin

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I wouldnt put too much worry into what your throttle is going to do just because you are leaning more forward. a lot of people have this fear and logic would tell you that when you are leaning more forward you would have tendancy to twist that throttle but in all reality its just not like that.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I have an .02 620 Monster with modified gearing, exhaust, and flywheel. Top speed around 115 on the speedo but it might be off be 5 mph or so. The handling is great, super quick in traffic and coming out of tight curves. I too wish for more top speed but I don't know why. I'll pass 100 mph pretty often when I ride, but where and how often would I be able to hit 140? Either way, the closest Ducati dealer is having an open house in a couple weeks and I'll be looking hard at the bigger bikes. Doubt I'll get rid of the 620 though. It is an awesome everyday rider because of the light weight, quickness and handling.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got this perfectly maintained 98 M900 with 10,800 miles for a steal of a deal. Kept in a heated garage and all maintenance done by a Duc dealership.

It can happen. You just have to find a desperate guy who's new wife is making him get rid of his toys (shed a tear for him...)

-Danimal

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought new on my last bike...it was a HUGE waste of good money.

Don't be a sucker! Buy used!

-Danimal

·
Registered
177 Posts
+1 to danimal
look around for a 90's M900 chances are with some searching you can find a nice one with some Mods for right around 4k or less. Take the savings get the bike gone over by a mechanic and ride the crap out of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts