Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this website, it seems too goog to be true so i was juyst wondering if anyone here knew them:

www.motor-maniax.com

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
It does seem really inexpenive, but it looks legit. Did you notice they were in the UK? I imagine shipping a bike to the US would add some money on, and it might not meet US standards? It would be interesting to talk to them about it. There prices are shown as US $ too, and that seems kind of wierd it is not in pounds.

mitt

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hit the "about us" link they are in the UK those have to be pounds they are at least a third lower then they should be.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Um,

If you can tell me the make and model of these cars

you have really good perception. All I can tell is a nissan pickup which they sell in almost every country in the world.

Also, did you look at the about us:

Address:
141 Gloucester RD.
Penzance, Cornwall
United Kingdom,
TR18 4BW

Fax :+44-808-208-3407
Fax :+44-870-139-4998

Last time I checked, +44 was not the country code for the US (001)

If you got an email from Ill, I would say that is strange.

mitt

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
There's something WAY wrong.

I read the British motorcycle magazines each month. They pay as much or more than we do for Ducatis.

Be careful, guy. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a sophisticated Internet scam.

"If it looks too good to be true, it probably is not true."

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
from their faq, it sounds like they are just selling the motors:

# Q: Do your motor prices include controls, gauges and props?
# A: No, all rigging accessories are purchased separately.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for the motor, thats what i thought too! I am trying to chez out.

Concerning the location:
The number plate on the 3 cars are US format (sizes) and we don't have houses looking like this in europe! (no offense!!)

The adresses is just for them to have an office in the UK but they are really located in the US, or at least they create the website from the US.

·
Registered
827 Posts
They have a used 99 m750 listed for more than they are listing a new 04 m800. Sounds fishy to me too.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Also why is the only contact by email? If they were a legitimate store it seems like they would list a phone number and address too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree, it does look dodgy, but still worth to try to find out because if they are legitimate, I'll soon open a bike shop!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I contacted them about a bike I'm interested in - not a Duc. The price (read below) is about what I can find on cycletrader from some of the dealers selling left-overs.

They ship from the EU and from the US. US bikes come from US dealers. There is $640 handling fee that gets added to the price they show. The MSRP you are looking at is not the price they are actually seeling at. My guess is they list the dealer price as the MSRP and then add their profit - $640 - per bike.

So for a M620 the out-the-door price is closer to $5,200, which if you have been paying attention is what some of the better US dealers will do. Go figure. Keeping the dealers who are shipping these bikes as a closely garded secret makes sense in view of how some dealers react to low prices. I'm guessing they have multiple dealers who they work with and who they essentially sell bikes for.

Payment is only by wire transer - bank to bank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the same answe and their bank details but can't get a phone no for the moment, that's the only low point! If I can get them on the phone I will try to arrange a visit of their facilities for next week, just to check it out!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
i would love to hear how this turns out.

It seems to me it would be a good deal for the dealers they work with b/c the dealer wouldn't get any $ on the initial sale, but they would likely get extra business from accesories/mods/maint. and it doesn't cost them anything.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Could it be that the prices listed are only for motor?

Also, I just used their "contact us" form, and got this automated response -"Thank you for contacting us!
Our representants will be in touch with you shortly."

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
representants sounds funny to me... if they were in the us i would have expected representatives... or rep... or something like that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
if that the price per motor, then it is ridiculous. The detail and description all indicate these are motorcylces or watercraft. It is an EU business.

I'm guessing they have deals with certain US dealers. Prearranged deals to buy at the dealer invoice plus some $$. The dealer may get half the $640 plus the hold-back. The company makes the other $100-300 as a comission more or less.

If it is legit, I should be able to see the bike before I pay and know where I'm picking it up. If it is legit, I'll be picking up a 600f4 by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
that's sort of how I'm looking at it. If it's legit, it would be profitable to buy and re-sell the bikes. Did you look at their prices for the SBK's? Crazy low... 3k under what they're going for on ebay. And 8177 for an S4R? Wowser.

Z

·
0 Posts
even more interesting...did a search of the domain ownership info:
At least you have some phone numbers to call now...

motor-maniax.com Back-order this name

Domain Name.......... motor-maniax.com
Creation Date........ 2004-04-04
Registration Date.... 2004-04-04
Expiry Date.......... 2006-04-04
Organisation Name.... Teresa Stewart
Organisation Address. Teresa A Stewart
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Dunlap
Organisation Address. 61525
Organisation Address. IL
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Teresa Stewart
Admin Address........ Teresa A Stewart
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ Dunlap
Admin Address........ 61525
Admin Address........ IL
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... [email protected]
Admin Phone.......... +1.3092437961
Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ YahooDomains TechContact
Tech Address......... 701 First Ave.
Tech Address.........
Tech Address......... Sunnyvale
Tech Address......... 94089
Tech Address......... CA
Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
Tech Email........... [email protected]
Tech Phone........... +1.6198813096
Tech Fax............. +1.6198813010
Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com
Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com

The previous information has been obtained either directly from the
registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions.
Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts