Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Questions:

What kind of mark up do Ducati Dealers make on their bikes? What percentage profit do they make? I know the bikes sell for much less in Europe, anyone know what kind of cash the dealers are bringing in? I dont have much expirience in dealing with vehicle salesmen, and dont want to get railed, what kind of numbers do most salesmen work with?

Whats the diffrence between the Euro2 spec Ducatis and the US spec Ducatis? Is it plasuable to buy a bike...say in the UK then have it shipped to the US and refabed for the states?

·
Banned
551 Posts
Ransom - I don't think you are going to find a Ducati cheaper anywhere else than in the states right now. The exchange rate is killing you (GBP hit a twelve year high against the dollar last week). The only way you could make money - is if you buy a bike in the states - ship it to Europe and sell it there.

For example - If I sell my S4 now - I will probably be able to sell it for $1000 equivalent less than what I paid for it two years ago.

If you are looking at saving money - check out bikes in Canada- since you live in Maine. You might get a break that way - but still have to worry about tax.

And as far as the Euro spec bikes - I am no expert, but I think the bikes are heading to the same emissions standards as the US has. I don't think you will see the carbon canister on a monster in Europe though.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked with a dealer over the phone yesterday, and I was able to get him to tell me what the dealer cost on a 2003 M800 Dark: $7,076

Since the MSRP is $7,995...that is about a 15% profit for the dealer.

So taken the MSRP for what bike you want, multiply it by .85 ....and you should get a good ideas at what the dealer paid for it. (Barring that my info is correct)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
US IS CHEAPEST!

In a post a while back I did an exchange rate conversion on the announced MSRP for the new Ducati Sport 1000.

here is the chart:

It must piss the Itanians off terribly to pay more for there own bread and butter.

mitt

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to also take into consideration the cost of living for each respective country.

Inflation and COLA are just two variables taken into account when price setting, regardless if they are made in their back yard.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
The cost of living, yes...and the cost of gas. Don't foget, Europeans pay about 3-4x more than we do for fuel :eek:
Check http://kbb.com for pricing. It worked for me.
I don't think there's much of a mark-up on new bikes. There is on used ones though. Just like cars.
T.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
RansOm,

The US is just beginning to come out of a 2-year cycle slump. I think just about any dealer will cut you a deal on MSRP right now. Unless Ducati is paying dealer cash-back incentives right now, the dealer is not making a lot on the sale. He's not getting rich off your back.

And I concur with the preceeding posts; this is the cheapest country in which to own and operate a performance bike ;D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent, thank you for all the great info guys, it was very helpful... now all I have to do is make the decision :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts