Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just in BHD to check on my bike and I asked them what the deal is on the Classics. They said you just plop down a deposit and the larger the deposit the higher up you get on the list. They said they already had quite a few.

Side note, my bike will be back in my hands next week, and so far BHD has been BAD ASS about everything. The tank looks really good, and I expect them to put it back together without any problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to say that I have an issue with that policy. I also called wanting to put money on a Sport 1000 and they told me that if someone put down more money than I, they would leapfrog over my place in line.

I asked what the point of my deopsit was, then and was greeted with a terse response.

As far as I am concerned, if I put down $1000 two years before the bike is supposed to be here, I should be guaranteed a place in line. There is no reason why someone who comes to the show a year later than I with $1200 should get their bike before me.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree totally. The way I always thought it worked was this.

I put the deposit down, I get in line. When they know a bike is comming they call me and say "the bike will be here in 2 months, your next in line, are you ready to come do the paperwork and buy it" if I say yes, then it's mine. If I say no, they go to the next person and I'm off the list.

That's fair to everyone.

I think Shawn said, when he got his S4r, that Pro Italia actually sold HIS bike out from under him and he had to go down there and tell them to sell it to him since it was his.

Is it THAT hard to just be normal and sell a bike to someone that bought it. And ask the next person on the list if they want to buy the bike they are on the list for?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ok heres my take on the whole Sport Classics thing. (your mileage may vary, dont try this at home Im a trained idiot, test conducted on closed course, blah, blah, blah) If I was to spend the money it would take to get one of those Id really prefer to get an original bevel version, but thats just me. I think the originals are far nicer to look at and truely would be actually worth the money spent. This is just one guys opinion. ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
You know, I tend to agree. While the lure of shiny Brembos and Ohlins stuff is sexy, I think that my $13,000 might be better spent restoring a 1970's 750 Sport.

Then again, don't listen to me. I ride a 1972 Honda CB500. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I tend to agree with ducman, but only if you're talking about a second bike; I don't think you'd want a 30 year old Duc as a daily-driver. If you just love the look ($13,000+ worth), and really intend to drive the thing, I think you'd want the comfort of a warranty. Then again, you may be a great improvisational mechanic, and truly enjoy the occasional roadside challenge....

http://www.bevelheaven.com/FS-davez_Sport.htm

http://www.bevelheaven.com/FS-am900ss.htm

http://www.bevelheaven.com/index2.html

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I don't agree. I think the Classic is a great looking bike. Don't buy it if you want a vintage bike. Someone already said this in a different thread but it's like the new Mini's and the Beatles - inspired by the past and with current technology. if I were going to buy a new M1000 I would definately consider the Sport 1000. I think it's a better looking bike. But like all discussions of this type, it's a function of individual tastes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is legal (I'm an attorney) so long as you're not told that you're deposit is buying a place in line. They're being very up front about what you're getting. They're just being slightly arrogant and not very friendly.

I was all set to put my money down, but after hearing that my money (and my acting early) actually get me anything, I'll hold off. Besides, if the bike goes to the highest bidder on the list, what's to stop BH Ducati from selling a bike OVER MSRP to someone who walks in the door five minutes before I'm supposed to pick up my bike.

Its a just a bad policy from a customer standpoint. S'all.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll just wait till I can get a used one, I shoud be done messing with my Monster by then. :-D

As far as the bikes though..I LOVE the new/old thing that's going on right now. You get the old school look, with none of the old shcool pains (pains can = character sometimes).

I want a Cobra Replica, but I'm going to get one with the FI v-8 out of a Mustang...you can bet your ass! I want to drive it, not work on it haha

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Its not that I dont like them, I think that they are cool looking. Its just past history (MH900e) shows us that the bikes will end up being sold for more than retail, (and yes I know if people will pay it then thats what will be charged) and then will end up on Ebay or the like being sold really cheap. Then I might jump on one. I stand by what I said, I have a couple of nice daily bikes in my 851 and Laverda Ghost and a track bike in my M620 Monster. It would be cool as hell to show up on a restored old bevel single or twin. It would also be cool to park it in the garage next to my soon to be started 64 H0NDA Ca77 Dream project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts