Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’m thinking about buying myself a Ducati Monster 797, and I know that ducati is a luxury brand, but i have to ask someone that has one. I am really obsessed with the build quality on everything I buy. From fit and finish, metal paint, down to bolts and basically everything. Something about quality materials gives me satisfaction. Can someone share their thoughts and what they think on this topic? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own 696s and the build quality is really good IMO. I’ve seen earlier Monsters from the 90s and I feel like they were a bit more rough in design and fit—but definitely have their own aesthetic and vibe!

The 696/797s do have a bit more plastic than the earlier generations, but also don’t have the annoying little things like lots of visible tie wraps on the trellis frame securing the wiring. The later ones have a couple but they’re not nearly as visible.

I suspect this was likely due to the earliest Monsters being literally “parts-bin special” bikes put together from whatever was hanging around the shop.

Also, every bike generation has a list of design flaws things that require upgrades or care when addressing. The 696 really doesn’t have many gotchas at all that I’ve noticed. Everything just fits well and quality is good.

Source: own two, rebuilt one from the engine up after a bad crash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 797 is a prize love the fact that it is just a striped down basic bike. No gas gauge just abs and fun. Mine has about 10,000 miles since January this year. Has a steel tank which I like better than plastic. Not that great for 2 up. Fit and Finnish is first rate. If you like lite simple motorcycles then it is for you. Riding the way it was back when.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ducati promotes itself as a premium brand but the Monster 797 is the most entry level model. So don't expect the fit and finish level of a Streetfighter V4S. It's likely also that the bike is assembled in Thailand, check the VIN before buying. Cost cutting and quality rarely go hand in hand.

I would rather look for a second hand 796 instead. SSS and an engine that has not been castrated by emission control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a '18 797 and the gf owns a '09 696. Our first Ducati's, after owning all the Japanese brands, four Italian Husqvarna's, and a pair of '16 KTM 390 Dukes. My only complaint with my 797 is that the factory did not clear coat over the emblems on the nice steel fuel tank. Seriously, that is my only gripe with it. My only complaint with the 696 is the plastic fuel tank and it's necessary plastic tank panels. The 696 emblems are clear coated though.

Power wise, 797 starts pulling about 4k, 696 about 5k. On the gas they are the same in performance. You can not go wrong with a Ducati 797. I do not see my self buying any other brand of street bike now, ever, it is that good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts