Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Dacatistas
Im planning to install dry clutch on my ducati monster 696.i not familiar except the sound what other differences i may experience. ?
What parts I should need from wet to dry and what brand should I choose?

I count on your valued experience guys!!!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Sound-wise I didn't find a significant difference between my ST4s' wet clutch and the Monster 1100's dry clutch. They both sound the same, though the Monster's was perhaps slightly louder.

Now with an open clutch cover? Big difference. When the clutch is engaged, it really does sound have a rhythmic "marbles" noise, though I wouldn't describe them as being in a can. More like in a thickly-walled box. With the clutch disengaged, there is a high-pitched metallic hiss.

Though it's louder with the open clutch cover, the noise is more "even," so it actually sounds better.

If you're going to go with open, make sure to pick up stainless steel springs and screws. Speedymoto sells a set.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sound-wise I didn't find a significant difference between my ST4s' wet clutch and the Monster 1100's dry clutch. They both sound the same, though the Monster's was perhaps slightly louder.

Now with an open clutch cover? Big difference. When the clutch is engaged, it really does sound have a rhythmic "marbles" noise, though I wouldn't describe them as being in a can. More like in a thickly-walled box. With the clutch disengaged, there is a high-pitched metallic hiss.

Though it's louder with the open clutch cover, the noise is more "even," so it actually sounds better.

If you're going to go with open, make sure to pick up stainless steel springs and screws. Speedymoto sells a set.
I didn't think the open cover sounded better. It was definitely WAY louder on my M1100.

I'm one of the few that don't love the dry clutch rattle I guess. I loved the look of the open cover, but the "clank-clank-clank" in neutral was louder than my un-baffled Termis. I LOVE the growl of my Termis, and I couldn't deal with them being back-staged by the clutch sitting at stoplights and such!

I went back to the stock cover. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to agree that the sound is sooo nice with the dry clutch!!! I have also carbon termis on my ducati 696 .The problem which I face now is that I can not find someone who change its 696 monster from wet to dry.. I don’t want to make experiments on my bike.I need advice from some one which has already done it…;???

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to agree with BPA 5150. On my 1098, the open dry clutch is so loud at stoplights that one cannot even hear the exhaust note. The only time it cannot be heard is when riding. If the 1100 Monster had a wet clutch, I would have bought that instead of the 696. The sound becomes quite irritating after awhile. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
You could run the engine without any oil, that'd be the easiest way to get a dry clutch on a 696. I think the most cost effective would be to jack up the cowl and slide a new 1100 underneath.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping to find a KIT ready for changing my 696 wet clutch to dry..It seems that no one did something like that and if yes apparently was a very good and knowledgeable mechanic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was hoping to find a KIT ready for changing my 696 wet clutch to dry..It seems that no one did something like that and if yes apparently was a very good and knowledgeable mechanic.
There is not a kit that I've ever heard of.

Changing a wet clutch to dry is definitely not common. It will take a good amount of $$$ and some serious technical knowledge.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
It's almost a must to open up the clutch cover. IT'S A DUCATI!!! If any of you have been to WDW; it would be hard to find a bike that has a dry clutch and not be opened up. The sound is awesome. I'm waiting on my springs to come in, so I can open mine up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's almost a must to open up the clutch cover. IT'S A DUCATI!!! If any of you have been to WDW; it would be hard to find a bike that has a dry clutch and not be opened up. The sound is awesome. I'm waiting on my springs to come in, so I can open mine up.
I felt the same way... until I did it! Like I said, I didn't like growl of my Termis being drowned out by the clack-clack-clack of the clutch at idle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
After having discussions with a couple of knowledgeable enthusiasts, the way of the dry clutch will soon be a thing of the past. (don't shoot the messenger) As Ducati evolves with traction control, intergrated brakes, abs braking and the inevitable automatic drivetrain. The clickity clack of the dry clutch is bound for the same direction of the 8 track player. The bikes of today will be the classics of tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to hi-jack this thread, but I want to fit a open clutch cover on my 2000 M750 Dark, is there a guide anywhere that I can find this? And does anyone know of a good value cover supplier?

Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
if you put an open cover on your wetclutch 750 you'll be getting a new motor!

the dry clutch conversion costs about 1500+

1 - 15 of 15 Posts