Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a Ducati 2010 Monster 696 2 weeks ago. Since the first day, I have issues starting the bike at least once a day (350 miles so far). From cold starts to running it for a few miles.

Initially, I would just move the side-stand up and down , shift between first and neutral and rock the bike back and forth and after about 10 or 15 minutes the bike would magically start.

The bike however today would not start after a good 30 minutes of the above.

When I hit the starter the bike makes a clicking noise, the engine does not seem to even attempt to start over. It makes me wonder if it is a security feature of the bike?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchased a Ducati 2010 Monster 696 2 weeks ago. Since the first day, I have issues starting the bike at least once a day (350 miles so far). From cold starts to running it for a few miles.

Initially, I would just move the side-stand up and down , shift between first and neutral and rock the bike back and forth and after about 10 or 15 minutes the bike would magically start.

The bike however today would not start after a good 30 minutes of the above.

When I hit the starter the bike makes a clicking noise, the engine does not seem to even attempt to start over. It makes me wonder if it is a security feature of the bike?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, Search the forum for "starting" or something similar to that. There are a lot of posts out there regarding hard start issues but I do not recall any regarding the clicking noise you speak of.

My 2 cents worth, while there is some very useful information to be found on this board, if it was me I would be in immediate contact with my dealer. Your bike is only 2 weeks old and these are somewhat expensive bikes compared to the Japanese brands. You really should not be experiencing this no matter the price or brand on a brand new bike.

Good luck and hope all works out OK for you.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There has been talk of some bikes having bad batteries, hitting it with the charger could help.

I'd also make more of a stink with the dealer. You have a brand new bike, tell them you want it fixed NOW.

Also, this is a very good reason to really get hands on with the bike at delivery, start it a few times, take it for a ride, make sure that everything works BEFORE you take it home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The batter shows 12.5 on the display.

Also the bike had started fine at the dealer, but when I got home is when i first started seeing the issue, which progressively got worse.

I've called the dealer once a day, but they don't seem to care now that the bike has already been sold ;/

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Did they install a battery tender lead for you? Because there is a chance that the terminals aren't tight.

I would still put it on a charger and see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
First make sure the terminals are tight as I said earlier. Sadly, this happens often. Your dealer is a moron for not taking you in quickly!

If it helps I'm a PCA driving instructor/911's.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
After this issue is fixed, I'd try to find another dealer for your service work, because it is obvious that this dealer sucks. If they didn't install a battery tender lead for you and they are giving you the run around, it's time to kiss them goodbye. Even if the next closest dealer is a few hours away, it's worth it. I had my 600 mile service done at a lousy dealer, just because they were close. It's a mistake I won't make again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
OK,
couple of things. sounds like you killed the battery. BUT why. are you starting the buy with the fast idle all the way open? then back it off.
as for your battery it should recover a bit if let sit. IF it's good.
as far as putting a pigtail on or charging the battery yourself, it's a much simplier process than you think. 30min top to open the covers and put them back.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Yea,

I called Ducati and the dealership. Both can't take care of me until the 6th.
Please let us know the name of this dealer so that we can make sure to avoid them in the future. I can't believe they won't drop what they're doing to sort this out for you. You definitely need to go elsewhere for service from now on and be sure to write them a scathing letter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it to the dealer.

They did install a battery tender, however they say the starter is bad and can't get to it until tomorrow. Also there is a chance there is something seriously wrong ( i.e. a bolt is lose or broke off inside) and could take a week to fix.

I'll update more as I know more. I was kind of hoping they would throw in a free jacket for my troubles, but no such luck :p The dealer is the Motorcafe in San Jose , CA

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont know if it will help you or not but I had a problem with my dealer when I first got my bike but I called and complained to Ducati and that helped to speed things along If you want here is the North American office contact
Ducati North America, Inc
10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, California, United States 95014
Tel.: +1 408 253 0499
Fax: +1 408 253 4099

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the starter is bad, it took two days to diagnose the problem and they are replacing it with another bike that they say only has 500 miles on it and has Ducati's approval.

Maybe I'll get the bike back on the 6th.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know if it will help you or not but I had a problem with my dealer when I first got my bike but I called and complained to Ducati and that helped to speed things along If you want here is the North American office contact
Ducati North America, Inc
10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, California, United States 95014
Tel.: +1 408 253 0499
Fax: +1 408 253 4099
Thanks. I'll be sure and send them a letter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clicking

Hey there. I have a 2006 M620. Just had a very simular thing happen to me. Hit the starter button and just a click (sounds like a relay). Luckly i was able to compression start it just fine. Let me know what you dealer says/does. Ill investigate mine bike as well. Just happened yesterday
Thx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts