red-Team Version

1098 Red w/red frame & black wheels $14995
other colors TBA

1098S Red w/red frame & black wheels $19995
other colors TBA

1098 Tricolore Red, white, & green w/gold frame & wheels $24995

See less See more
#6 ·
TAX. It's called BDM and it applies to motorcycles. I think it still hovering in the low 20% range. When you add that duty on top of already expensive business operating costs in Europe, you see hugely inflated prices.

The end consumer gets raped in Europe compared to America. But EU nations are democracies so you can fix that whenever you want [thumbsup]

#11 ·
$26,000 AUS x .78 $US/$AUS = $20,280 U.S.

No, that price is not indicative of exchange rates, it is still $5K too high.

I can't find any Australian laws on motorcycle import tax. I know you have them, but I'm not sure how much or how many countries it applies to.

Plus, Australia is a small market, on a far away island. That's probably compounding delivery expenses.

#12 ·
desmoworks said:
Is it not all relative?

If you would make $100K a year in the US would you not make $128K in Oz. I don't know so I'm asking??
Relative is absolutely right. Exchange rate by itself is utterly meaningless when trying to determine whether one country is more or less expensive than another.

Purchasing power parity (PPP) is a measure of that. Basically, you convert all currencies to a single currency (usually USD), and see how much it costs to purchase a set basket of goods.

If our basket of goods comprises of a Duacti 1098, Australia is more expensive than the US. I wonder what the relative average salaries, income taxes, etc. are.

#13 ·
mylexicon said:
$26,000 AUS x .78 $US/$AUS = $20,280 U.S.

No, that price is not indicative of exchange rates, it is still $5K too high.

I can't find any Australian laws on motorcycle import tax. I know you have them, but I'm not sure how much or how many countries it applies to.

Plus, Australia is a small market, on a far away island. That's probably compounding delivery expenses.
Australia could be explained by the import tax and transport costs. But who can explain the price difference of italian motorcycle in Europe and in US. We do not have any import tax (European Union), the transport is definitely cheaper than transport overseas and there is still app. $2k difference between us price and europe price.

#14 ·
Down here in Oz we get raped by our Govt on all things with engines :mad:

Try a BMW base 525 i will cost us roughly $110k AUD that money would buy you a M5 in the states :eek:

I paid close to 24k for my S4RS here and over there they are 15k

You guy's have it very good on price's and also the gas is cheap as chips [thumbsup]

#15 ·
I work in I.T in Oz and know plenty of people who worked in the U.S and we make approxametely the same as you guys dollar for dollar. ie similar roles that pay say $US80K in the US are similar here in Oz dollars, $80K Oz.
I cannot say that's across all work industries of course.

I'd say the size of your market definately helps.
But as paulC says, we get shafted up the arse here when it comes to buying foreign product. :mad:

That's why I'm buying bits for my bike from the U.S.

#16 ·
Why are things more expensive in Europe?

Well, tax for one. Value added tax in Europe is 22%, whereas sales tax in the U.S. is usually under 10%. Of course there are probably customs to pay in the U.S., so the difference is slimmed down somewhat.

In addition, prices in Europe are given inclusive of VAT, whereas in the U.S. prices are given without sales tax, which is added on later. So to compare apples to apples, we would need to add sales tax to the U.S. price, and this varies by state and even municipality. Or we could remove 22% from the EU prices.

Shipping is not very expensive when spread among thousands of units, and actually dealers sometimes make you pay a highly inflated shipping charge that has no bearing to actual cost of shipping via container from Italy to US.

s2rslovakia mentions that there is a $2k difference between EU price and US price. I am assuming this is for the 1098. So we have $15k in the US, without tax, and $17k in Europe, with 22% VAT. That comes out to $13934 in Europe without tax. To get to $15k for the U.S., add shipping and tariff, and you pretty much get there.

Now I could be wrong about EU prices having the 22% VAT reflected already. I know that for consumer goods, VAT is required by law to be included in published prices. I do not know if this extends to vehicles. Could someone confirm?

Disclaimer -- couple of beers and some percocet, courtesy of some minor tear-duct surgery. I could be getting this stuff all wrong.

#17 ·
It's not just VAT. In the EU they pay a tax paid for the "privilege" of owning a motor vehicle. It really is sad, in the United States they REDUCE taxes to help people afford cars (until you hit luxury tax). In Europe they INCREASE tax to keep you from owning a vehicle and to prop up public transit and taxi unions. Then to add insult to injury they take all the coolest European cars and ship them to the United States for us to enjoy. It's like they are punishing their own citizens for a crime they haven't committed. :p

P.S. if you wanna know relative PPP across nations, check out the Big Mac index. Its about as close as you're going to get without paying tons for a good study. Funny how the 1 good on this planet that actually mimmicks relative PPP is a hamburger. Oh McDonalds---the gift that keeps on giving [laugh]

BTW spot exchange rates are not meaningless when it comes to relative PPP!!!!!!!! :eek: I know you were probably oversimplifying for someone or maybe you were talking long run, but here is food for thought for others who may not be aware. If America has 20% euro goods in PPP bundle, and Australia has 50% euro goods in PPP bundle. And both nations experience a 20% increase in their currency against the euro. Does relative PPP between America and Australia stay the same. Not in the short run. In the short run Australia is much better off. The life cycle of most consumer mechanical goods is pretty short run, particularly motorcycles.

#18 ·
hahahaaaa - I find all this complaining about prices very interesting - being an Aussie sitting here in Thailand.

I just paid the equivalent of around AUD 24,000 for a new S2R1K. Now THAT's expensive!!!

But, I will add that that price included a year's insurance, all on road costs, a a few other little bits and pieces. Call it about AUD 23k retail, if I were to deduct those add ons.

Here, it's all import duty, VAT.

Imported cars here are also massively expensive - and when you combine that with a large engine - larger than 2.5 litres, prices REALLY start to go through the roof.

Fuel here is around AUD 0.95 per litre, and of course other living expenses are quite low.

For comparison, a new Suzuki GSX1K will cost about the same as my bike.

Registration cost is very low.

#19 ·
I love it when the subject line has nothing to do w/ the body of the replies! [thumbsup] [laugh] [cheeky]

On that note... I think it makes total sense to tax cars based on weight, and fuel efficiency. I also think it makes sense to have public health care and not have companies bear the burden. ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.