Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out to see Donnie yesterday, since we were on a ride in the area, he did a few tweaks to my S2R front suspension. While there he mentioned that he has new bikes on the way, with some arriving as early as this weekend. He is now a fully franchised Ducati dealer, his service has always been second to none and I am rooting for him to become one of the top dealerships in our area. He will get all my service and I may buy a GT from him. - Gene

·
Registered
37 Posts
Donnie has done all of my service for the last year an a half. He does exceptional work, and with his racing experience has great insight into what performance mods will work and what won't.

Bill

·
Registered
31 Posts
pveltri said:
He's not on the delaer-locator application on the Ducati website yet :'(
That's because there were still some final issues that needed to be resolved. Expect Duc Pond Motosports to show up soon.
Meanwhile, he's taking orders for bikes and continuing to deliver that same "old school" service that you can't teach.
Some call it TLC...he calls it DUC...Donnie Unger Care!! :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Where is his shop?

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I'm plagued by the widespread problem of low rpm surging with the '06 S2R1000. I've had limited luck so far at Battley in terms of improving the situation through tuning (e.g., TPS, idle, fuel map, etc), as some have suggested should be possible. Has anyone on the list with an S2R1K with this problem had it to DucPond with any better luck?

Dave

G

·
I don't know if anybody has, but I have worked with Donnie on several issues and if it can be fixed, he can fix it. Once you go out there and talk to him you will see what I mean. He knows Ducati's but more importantly he understands trouble shooting and how to fix things.

·
Registered
688 Posts
dlowenst said:
I'm plagued by the widespread problem of low rpm surging with the '06 S2R1000.
Search in the Tech section. I think most people are disconnecting the o2 sensor to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I wish I was cool like Donnie...

but seriously, from everything I have heard he is a good guy and a heck of a tech. I wish him all kinds of continued sucess (but not too much you know)

and btw... ask me who he has to catch up to now?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Bug said:
Search in the Tech section. I think most people are disconnecting the o2 sensor to solve the problem.
Thanks for the responses. I've been an active participant in the Tech forum on this issue since it started in earnest in early summer. While several folks have successfully addressed the issue by disconnecting the O2 sensor, there are many (including me) who consider that to be a solution of last resort, in part because it almost certainly creates new problems even if it solves the surging. Because a significant fraction of S2R1K owners do not have the surging problem at all, I believe it must be due in large part either to improper (or very finicky) setup, or to defective parts/manufacturing processes (e.g., faulty ECU) - meaning that a really skilled tuner/mechanic should be able to get to the bottom of it without resorting to a major bodge like disconnecting the O2 sensor. Based on all I've been hearing about Donnie Unger here, I guess I'm hoping he might be that kind of guy.

To those who've worked with him - do you think it's worth trying to call or email him first to talk about whether he's comfortable trying to tackle the S2R1K surging problem, or for best results do I really need to go visit? I live in downtown DC so it's a pretty good haul for me out to Winchester - I'd like to maximize the probability that my trip there would be productive.

Dave

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Call him to give him a heads up, but trust me he can fix it or get the Ducati Tech folks involved.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mild Threadjack: Duc Pond vs. Speed's ?

Yeah, I'm in Northern VA (Arlington), so if I have to make the trek, should it be North (Speed's) or South (Duc Pond)?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Re: Mild Threadjack: Duc Pond vs. Speed's ?

Zcat 07 said:
Yeah, I'm in Northern VA (Arlington), so if I have to make the trek, should it be North (Speed's) or South (Duc Pond)?
Ducpond is actually west of here, 66 to 17 to 50, or 50 all the way out

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in downtown DC so it's a pretty good haul for me out to Winchester - I'd like to maximize the probability that my trip there would be productive.
I've posted about Duc Pond before in the local shops thread, but I'll throw this additional two cents in. I took my bike to Donnie for routine service, and got it back running better than it ever had. Keep in mind it only went there for the 12K service, but I am firmly convinced it got way more than the minimum. I also got to talk to Donnie personally and see his shop for myself, he even told me a bit about another bike he was working on. In all of this I felt that I could trust the work and the person doing it. I have no experience with Speed's, he seems to get great reviews, but dealing with Donnie is the only time I have felt so at ease with a repair facility of any kind, auto or bike. (I had yet another "typical dealer" experience at CPS the other day, and will definitely not be returning)

For what it's worth according to Google maps it's about 75 miles to Winchester from DC (and a beautiful ride for the most part), whereas for me it came to just over 100 miles, one way. In spite of that I will return to Donnie for everything I can't do myself and consider the drive a small price to pay for such service. As for calling ahead, other than making sure Donnie will be there I can't see any reason to fear an unproductive visit. He would probably appreciate it though...

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
desmodrama said:
(I had yet another "typical dealer" experience at CPS the other day, and will definitely not be returning)
At which CPS? I only ask because I am Ben at the Woodbridge store and I am always striving to make improvements.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Anticipation is building..... it looks like he's revamping the website as it is currently unavailable, good to, cause it needed an overhaul.

www.ducpond.com

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
D.U. is a very cool guy and a six pack upon picking up the bike makes him even a happier cool guy. He did an awsome job on my 12k service. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Duc Pond/Donnie Unger seems to get raving testimonials.

Regarding CPS, I've been more than satisfied with their service. I did pre-pay for a maintenance package which includes up to 6 factory service events within 2 yrs, and gives the benefit of getting me to the front of the queue.

I've had CPS FC do my 600 mile service, exhaust/ecu mod, 6000K service, and a full instrument cluster replacement (under warranty). All of it was done quickly and very effectively. I'm just happy I bought the pre-paid maintenance package - which to this point has virtually payed for itself with 15 months and several factory-specified maintenance events left to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to threadjack here....

In regards to my passing comment about CPS and Ben's question, it was WB I'm afraid, but I feel I should clarify since I put it out in public (Ben I'll PM you with details).

The service I requested was done quickly and correctly. My issue was the distinct feeling that I as a customer was the least of anyone's concerns, except for the one salesman who apparently didn't believe me when I told him I was only looking at the new Ducs to pass time while mine was in the shop.

In fairness I also work for a gov't agency where professionalism and customer service are paramount and may get annoyed too easily by these things. CPS WB has gotten a lot of great reviews lately and clearly has been turned around from what it once seemed to be, so if I do have occasion to return I will try to see if someone from the board is there and probably the experience will be 100% better.

/threadjack

1 - 20 of 26 Posts