Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
This is my first post here. I hope to find some answers.
I have a Ducati Monster 750, with 47000 miles on it.
I am presently living in Salem Virginia. I moved here from San Diego. Since the day I've moved here, the bike has started fouling plugs. It's always the front cylinder. The one that's closer to the front wheel. I showed it to a local repair shop, as there is no dealership in town. He said, there was lot of gunk in the carbs, and he cleaned it, the bike ran for 20-25 miles, and then the same thing. So I decided to take it to the Dealer ship. Put it on a truck, and drove to Richmond. The guy at the dealership said the same thing. It needed tuning of carbs. I brought the bike back. rode it once, within no time, same thing. It's always preceded by few sputters, and smell of Gas. And then, before you know it, the bike is running on one cylinder again.
So on a friends advice, I changed the plugs to the next hotter range, and surprize, the bike ran good for about a month. Just now, on my way back, when I started it, it's back on one cylinder.
Few Facts:
I used to ride it everyday in CA. It was my only mode of transport. Now I dont. Ride it only on weekends
In VA, I just can not ride it as often as I would like. so most of the time it sits in the garage.
The carburators have two rubber plugs in front. If I am looking at them from the front of the bike, one of them is missing. This one feeds fuel and air mixture to the cylinder problematic cylinder.
I informed the dealer of this, and he said it was a very minor thing, and this is not causing it to foul the plug.
Till date I have spent about 500 dollars, and still can not ride my bike.
Please help.
Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
what does the deposit on your fouled plug look like? is the deposit black and fluffy (gas) or wet black and sorta chunky (oil)? if they are gas fouled you could try switching the coils, wires, and ignition modules and see if the problem switches cylinders. if it does, ignition problem.

if oil fouled, i would suspect valve guides.

i have no idea what the rubber plugs are. if they merely cover the idle mixture adjustment screws, they wouldn't be the problem.

i would also consider speaking to the dealer who worked on your bike. you paid good money to get your bike fixed, and it aint!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are wet and black. I do not think I am going back to the dealer, although I'll definitely write a letter. I am thinking of buying one of those manuals and working on it myself.
Just before I left San Diego, I did get the valves and everything else done.
But thanks a lot for the advice. I do see some light.....Thanks.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the reply.
LAst night on my way back from a nearby place, I rode it back on one cylinder.
This morning, replaced the plug, rode it to office, about a mile from home. I took a longer route just to ride it.
Just now came back from work, checked the plug, Its coated with black soot.with the tip of the plug having a white spot, but no wet spots from oil or anything. I went thri couple of posts, and learned a few things about my bike. It's from the infamous era when the factory used softer valve guides, but with so many miles on it, getting close to 50,000, I would assume that this cannot have the original guides.
BUt I can confidently say that the chain of events that lead to the ultimate plug failiur starts with when I use engine braking. This was one of the points that I picked in one other posts.
I'll try and take it for a spin on teh freeway, and then check the plugs again.
In the mean time,
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
is your monster stock or do you have pipes and a possible jet kit ? I have seen needle and seats wear out with certain brands of jet kits... there is a chance your stock needles may have worn as well allowing too much fuel .. You can do a compression and or a leak down test to confirm if it's guides or something else internaly ??

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Forza slip ons. Other then that it's pretty much stock.
I'll look into the needle part.
Thanks.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
since it appears to be gas fouling, and, to some degree both cylinders, follow Dave R's advice. the needle jets will actually look oval if they are worn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts