Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a dual-sport to do some adventure touring with.
I'd love to get an Elefant but they are as rare as... (insert clever quip here).
I thought about a multistrada but I think I'd need to do a lot to butch it up enough for loaded down travel over the nasty stuff.
I swallowed my pride and took a Bummer 1150GS for a test ride - What are those guys thinking?

Anyway - my question is, Do I build my own dual-sport from a monster - a wrecked 900 maybe?
Lengthen the swingarm, change the front fork, new wheels/tires, etc.

Whadaya think?

I've currently got an S4, ST3, my wifes 620ie, and her F650CS (gota love heated grips)

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
have you though about an XR650 L w/ bigger tank?

or even a KLR. Both are so popular that parts would easy to find/replace even in the middle of nowhere.

i'd say a monster with a large tank and high bars would be good too.

but isn't that an ST* then?

Q [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
so what about a MTS? I don't know how much of an adventure you're really looking for?

a good friend of mine has an Aprilia Caponord... I would not suggest it though because parts are WAY TOO difficult to acquire for the bike.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
buy the duc motarH and straps some saddles on it...

Q

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you guys really think about the Hypermot? I mean, what is it really for? It's a naked bike - like a monster; with 17" wheels - like a monster; and the same running gear as a monster. I don't get it.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
KiltBoy said:
What do you guys really think about the Hypermot? I mean, what is it really for? It's a naked bike - like a monster; with 17" wheels - like a monster; and the same running gear as a monster. I don't get it.
Duuh, it is for HYPERMOTARD-ING

[laugh]

Q

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
I remember a guy transformed an SV into a dual sport, using the stock frame motor and rear swing arm.

It performed great at higher speeds, but at lower speeds, especially when in a power slide situation, the weight of the beast was very evident.

I would expect the monster to be the similar, maybe a couple Lbs lighter.

Do it and let us know.

Q

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm going to keep hunting for an Elefant. Reading other threads it would seem to be the acme of foolishness to try to reinvent a perfectly good wheel (or pair of wheels) - Thanks for the advise.

G

·
The 3 best big adventure bikes that can actually go in the dirt are (in my arbitrary order of preference):

KTM Adventure
BMW 1200 GS
V-Strom

The Elefant is NOT among them.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Everyone likes what they ride best. Me too. So my first recommendation would be a BMW F 650. Either a good clean Funduro like mine (1997-2000 & carbureted), or a late model or new F 650 GS Dakar.

First of all, what kind of dual sport riding? There is a big range. If you are going to ride long highway miles or commute and hit FOrest Service dirt and gravel roads and some double track trails, the F 650 series is hard to beat. If you are doing more serious dirt riding and will do rugged single track and expect to jump the bike very much, then seriously consider something from a KLR 250 to a DRZ 400. The more aggressive the dirt riding, the more often you will be picking the bike up. Every pound counts after about the 4th or 5th time on one ride.

I've had my F 650 all over the map from here to Ohio. Dirt and gravel in the mountains and in mid GA. Miles of sugar sand in the Ocala Nat'l Forest. I've used it for a track day event at Barber once. It is the best do-all bike I ridden over the last 40 years.

If you don't need the legs to cover thousands of highway miles at 70+, the 250s and 400s are more capable in the dirt.

No single bike can do it all well. So you just have to honestly appraise what you want it to do and pick the best match.

And BTW, you probably can't modify a Monster to get the suspension travel you need without spending more than you would on a good Cagiva Elefant or Gran Canyon.

If you want a big twin that not every one else has, keep an eye out for a Honda Transalp. Great bikes.

Check out www.advrider.com for more info than you can process and a good classified section too.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention, the carbureted F 650s were built in Italy on the Aprilia Pegaso assembly line. Production wasn't moved to Germany unitl 2001 with the major redesign and switch to fuel injection and underseat gas tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Three Letters: KTM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts