Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the Nichols website and saw they have a kit to convert your 2v monospark into a dual spark. Maybe this is old news t some of you guys but what do you think? Could this be a future mod to put on the wishlist?

·
Registered
796 Posts
That looks like a nice mod. I wonder what the price is on that. I also wonder if its a swap out deal, like you send your heads in and they send you these? Also I would guess you would need new coils, not sure if you could just swap in coils from a dual plug bike but since my M900 is carbed and the dual plugers are injected I wonder if it would be an issue. I am very interested in this and if the price is not too bad I may jump on it. Maybe Chris, or some of the others tech gurus, will chime in on this.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's my experience that dual plug heads will give you maybe one horse power maybe none. It is really a cure for old fashioned designed high dome pistons. Modern high compression pistons fill the bottom of the combustion chamber not the top. Low compression engines just don't benefit from dual plugs unless one plug is bad. I have dual plug heads on my engine and dyno testing only allowed me to retard the spark by one degree from stock to get peak horse power.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks Alex, so do you think port and polish is a more effective way to squeeze a little Xtra juice out of my motor? (I have a 944 kit, FCRs, Nichols flywheel, coils)

·
Registered
426 Posts
How much horsepower are you making now? How much do you want? How much are you willing to spend? I would like to say a little porting and polishing won't hurt but it might. Two valve Ducati motors have such bad intake ports that in many cases if any material is removed the port can get worse not better. So I think unless you are real serious you are better to do very little or go all the way.

·
Registered
796 Posts
No, Im not really serious. I have a friend who polished his heads with a dremel tool and ALOT of time, and he swears it gave him more hp. Ill take your word for it and just leave the bike as is for now. I was just looking for a project to have fun with. I think Ill keep saving for a 916 ;D
Thanks for your input
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts