Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 944 kit on Il Bostro Mostro and Big Valves, DP (Ducati Performance)Cams, some flow work, etc. Not a 5 angle or anything fancy on the valves, just plain oversize cutting.
I am contemplating the dual plugs as well. I already have Chris Kelley's Dyna Coils on the bike, a Nichols flywheel, a DP aluminum Clutch basket and Plates, and 41mm FCR's with Unifilter Pods.
What can I expect from the DualSpark setup vs the current Dyna's HP wise? Anyone have any Dyno experiences with the 2 plug vs 1 plug??
I then need it jetted properly to all the additions, anyone have a baseline to start from?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Re: Dual Plug Vs. Single Plug

From what I've seen in print from those who have done it, it seems there's not a lot in it.

Here's a link to a tech article by Doug Lofgren:
http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/2plug.htm
Not exactly an A-B test, but Doug is pretty damn sharp on this stuff.

Guy at MBP may have something different to say about it, as they do offer a dual-plug service.

If you're running pistons with very high domes, I can see it helping, as the combustion chamber becomes a 'walnut shell' shape, which does not promote efficient combustion.

I'm pretty sure that Ducati did the DS 1000 engines for emissions reasons only.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have read that the only reason that the 1000ds engines have dual sparks because Euro 3 makes them so lean that they won't run well with one plug
Put a iridium plug in and it will run just fine

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think the DS was worth the $$$. I have Ferraci headers, Remus Extreme High cans. JE 11:1 pistons. DP valves and cams. These are V2 heads so combustion chamber is already good.
I will start at 2 degrees retarded timing and work back to 6 on Dyno to find best setting.
I will probably put the Malossi short intakes on later, but want to dial this in on the Dyno 1st. Goal is 95HP, anything over is welcome.
I wonder what kind of HP can be had out of the new 1100DS? Supposed to be 95 stock.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
You may want to (if you haven't already) peruse the tech data at www.moto-one.com.au/performance/ for Brad's notes about the differences between the 900ie and 1000DS engines. While the 1000DS is a significantly improved engine, it's not because of the dual-plug setup.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The HP difference of a DS engine running on 1 plug as opposed to 2 plugs was well under 5hp.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
If you did a 'mag check' (as in piston engine aircraft) the rpm drop would be somewhat indicative of the contribution of the second plug.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have to spend $250 for dual plug machining, another $250 for a dual outlet coils setup for about 5 HP? That's $100 a pony. Doesn't seem like a good bargain.
Maybe a NOS kit instead, anyone know of one to fit a Monster with FCR's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts