Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow ducs!
I ride a 2003 Monster 1000s ie, with a dry clutch. Since the day I bought it, the clutch will vibrate and make a weird "moaning" noise, when I am pulling out of first gear. I had the mechanic "bead blast" (I thinkg) the plates. It is much better now, has only done it once in past 2 weeks and was very minimal. Is this normal, what is exactly going on when it vibrates and makes this noise? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
It does not sound anything dangerous.

Aluminum plates , dry clutch , are a bit like that at first.

Ofcourse, from here, it is hard to really hear or understand the problem, but mine is after 20000kms ok.

Get some air conditioning to your clutch (see Magnus avatar) for your clutch or other kind.
Or open it up once in awhile and let it run and boost some airpressure in there. Do not breath in near area.

If problems due occur in performance of the clutch, contact your nearest Ducati dealer.

Happy turns, corners and may only close calls be with you...

Skier

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 748s and sometimes when I was starting out from the garage for the first ride of the day it would kind of moan not a deep moan but a moan none the less every once in a while. Does yours do it when the engine is relatively cold or later in your ride. I would not worry to much to be honest with you. I would recommend venting it at some point in time as this tends to keep it cleaner. How many miles do you have on the bike? The plates vibrating is normal for a dry clutch. Sounds like jingle bells to me when I riding down the street and pull in the clutch. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to do it when the engine is hot and cold. The vibration I mentioned is not from the plates moving, (I agree that sounds cool), it is an actual vibration that you can feel in the bike.
I guess it is not a big deal, but the theme seems to be to vent the plates.
Thanks for the replys

H

·
0 Posts
My m1000sie does the same thing. No big deal, just kind of anoying. Mine rattles alot in neutral, but stops as soon as I pull the clutch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey herb
As I mentioned, the blasting of the plates helped alot.
Another question for you...What are the pros and cons of the 41 tooth sprocket?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts