Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

this winter, I will overhaul my M1100 dry clutch, which largely exceeds the maximum wear ratings.
I was waiting for it to slip, but the DS told me that: "a dry clutch never slip 馃榿 but it is very tired by the noise it makes"
and indeed he was right :cry:
I disassembled the clutch disks and they have to be replaced including the clutch basket.

Concerning the cush drive rubbers in the clutch drum, except from visible wear (cracking, significant clearance )
is there any recommendation to change them depending on age and/or mileage ?

I was not able to disassemble the drum, because I have not yet purchased a tool to block it.
So I don't know what they look like after 10 years and 25,000km (15500 mile).

As there are 12 rubbers to replace, this is not negligible on price.
It bothers me to order them just preventively,
but it also bothers me to re-disassemble the clutch once the basket and the discs will be renewed...
Life is bad :LOL:

What is your experiences with the cush drive rubbers ?
Thanks in advance

Laurent

Super Moderator
I put 265K on my M900 Monster, and these were never an issue.
I replaced my original clutch basket at 140K, and again at 220K.

PhilB

Registered
I've been pretty ham fisted with the throttle...ride was becoming clunky... technically the rubber was fine...but the fit of the carrier was a bit loose overall...~30k miles before a recognized it as an issue...no confidence rolling on the throttle mid corner

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank PhilB for your quick answer.
I did not found any thread related to the cush drive rubbers, so I was expecting this kind of answers :cool:...
OK, with my 1550 miles/year, I will postpone the order to 2035 ;)

By the way, you dragged out the basket as long as 140K. Don't tell me the tang-to-slot clearance was 0.6mm ;)

@Buhgaboo Are you talking about the clutch drum rubbers or the sprocket rubbers ?

Regards,

Laurent

Registered
I did not found any thread related to the cush drive rubbers, so I was expecting this kind of answers :cool:...
OK, with my 1550 miles/year, I will postpone the order to 2035 ;)

By the way, you dragged out the basket as long as 140K. Don't tell me the tang-to-slot clearance was 0.6mm ;)

@Buhgaboo Are you talking about the clutch drum rubbers or the sprocket rubbers ?

Regards,

Laurent
The sprocket rubbers...are the cush drive...you can see the rubbers fine...but the inner metal bit got elongated from just laying on the throttle every chance I could...if you watch the video in my previous post you can see the entire sprocket carrier had a bit of play in it...factor in an uneven chain; ride was really jerky...had to wait for every thing to tighten up before giving it the full beans in the corners

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Buhgaboo,

thank you for sharing your experience about sprocket rubbers but I'm talking about the rubber pad (see part n掳 5 below)
There is another cush-drive damper mechanism in the clutch assembly.

1606082134293.png

Registered
My bad...wasn't even aware of those...they did away with them in the wet clutch...aside from the degradation that your asking about...if you experience the same surging or clunky-ness in rolling on the throttle I would start thinking of changing them...cheers

Registered
I rebuilt my dry clutch (900ie) maybe just over a year ago. both basket and hub, plus plates. the hub had one broken section where springs fit over. I thought, well, the rubbers are cheap, around $4.00 each, so I ordered a set of 12.(fleabay). after separating the hub, I found the rubbers were in 'as new' condition. No cracks or any sign of damage etc. bike is at 80,000 klms. I fitted the new ones anyway.

Up to you, it's difficult to tell if they are worn as the inner hub sections fit tightly together, without separating them.
I've never come across a dry clutch that actually needed them replaced.
hope this helps,

Super Moderator

... By the way, you dragged out the basket as long as 140K. Don't tell me the tang-to-slot clearance was 0.6mm ;) ...
I'm sure the tang-to-slot clearance was huge. It had become a pretty noisy clutch, but it still worked fine. The thing that made me replace it was that at the base of the basket there is a giant washer, and that washer had worn its way entirely into the base of the basket.

My second basket was aluminum and it did indeed quicken the rev response and make the clutch work a bit more smoothly and quickly, but it wore out (same problem) in only 80K. So my third basket I went back to the stock OEM steel. I only had about 45K on that one when we got smacked, and the bike was totaled.

I'm pretty easy on the clutch, though. A set of clutch plates would usually last me 40-60K. If you're the sort of hard rider that goes through a set of clutch plates in 15K, then probably your basket and cush rubbers and all that won't last like mine did. YMMV.

PhilB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts