Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be dropping my FI 900 lump this week in order to have some work done to it. I haven't pulled a bike motor before, although i'm pretty competent around a garage and will have my dad (another mechanically inclined guy) for help. Anyway, I could use some tips - specifically the sequence of removing stuff to make the process easiest.

Also, given that I've never done this before, how long should this process take?

Thanks
:)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Take your time label everything you remove and put as many bolts as possible back where you got them after they are removed.

How long depends on you. For me about an hour and a half.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Oh, and as far as the order

Seat-tank-airbox-carbs/battery-mufflers/exhaust-rear wheel/suspension-engine.

The swingarm can come out with the engine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks needtorque. That'll help a lot!

I'm not really concerned about the drop but I always like to ask before I try something new in case there's some common hangup or problem I can avoid.
8)

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
isnt' there some company that makes a tool that keeps the swingarm in place while the motor is out?

May be a thought if you don't have a hoist, or means to hold the bike up.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wakaba said:
isnt' there some company that makes a tool that keeps the swingarm in place while the motor is out?

May be a thought if you don't have a hoist, or means to hold the bike up.
Got a link? Sounds interesting, but I'm under time constraints. My motor needs to be shipped out mid-week next week. I may be able to fab something up if I can copy someone else's ingenuity.

needtorque said:
Oh, and instead of carbs that section should read ......-airbox/battery-throttle bodies-........ :-[
understood ;)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wakaba said:
http://secure.speedymoto.com/Mercha...ode=SP&Product_Code=04-0201&Category_Code=SMT

ACK... backordered sorry. Anyone know another company that makes these, or willing to create the seemingly simple design.
Thanks for the link wakaba.

I'm planning to suspend the front end from an i-beam in the garage. So long as i keep my rear stand in place for stability I should be able to whip up a $5 version with a piece of 2x4, some wooden dowel, a band saw and a drill

Thanks.
;D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
needtorque said:
How long depends on you. For me about an hour and a half.
OK, I'm into my second evening of removing my motor. Granted, I've never done this before so I am trying to be really meticulous and cautious but ****... how do you do this in 90mins. Or are you just a tall tale teller?
??? ;)

The good news is I've got probably another 2 hours at my snails pace and I'll be done. Woo Hoo!

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I laugh because I'm about to do this soon when I replace my 02 750 motor w/ an 02 900. Maybe soon we can exchange horror stories.

-Ed

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
i'd remove the exhaust, unhook/disconnect the wires for alternator, rotation sensor, starter, oil pressure, neutral, side stand, oil temp, undo the breather hose, undo the inlet manifold clamps, remove the footrest brackets and side stand, lower or upper shock/rocker mounts to leave it all with the swingarm, brake master to leave that with the swingarm, probably forgot something.

then just lift the frame up, pop the throttle bodies out of hte manifolds (i'm lazy, so leave it all in the chassis) and wheel the frame adn front end away. we have a stand that supports the engine thru the lower rear hole and under the front of the cases. stable and will support the bike complete. 90 minutes is fairly casual when you've done a few.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Honestly, I am not a teller of tall tales. :)

I am an auto mechanic which gives me a ton of mechanical experience. Also, I find working on motorcycles so much more simple.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Canada!! No wonder this is taking you so much longer. As cold as it is up there right now everything is moving slower. ;D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brad black said:
i'd remove the exhaust, unhook/disconnect the wires for alternator, rotation sensor, starter, oil pressure, neutral, side stand, oil temp, undo the breather hose, undo the inlet manifold clamps, remove the footrest brackets and side stand, lower or upper shock/rocker mounts to leave it all with the swingarm, brake master to leave that with the swingarm, probably forgot something.

then just lift the frame up, pop the throttle bodies out of hte manifolds (i'm lazy, so leave it all in the chassis) and wheel the frame adn front end away. we have a stand that supports the engine thru the lower rear hole and under the front of the cases. stable and will support the bike complete. 90 minutes is fairly casual when you've done a few.
Thanks Brad. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a support stand for the motor (just using a floor jack) and another pair of hands. However, rolling the frame and front endo forward and away from the motor is a good idea.
[thumbsup]

needtorque said:
Canada!! No wonder this is taking you so much longer. As cold as it is up there right now everything is moving slower. ;D
Unfortunately, you're not wrong about that.... it was -11oC (12oF) last night. We've had a very warm fall so the change in temperature ove the last few days was sudden.

By mid-February when it's -30 with gale force winds blowing snow everywhere I'll hate my country.
:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts