Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was at a stoplight and i fell over on my bike. don't know why but i lost balance at a stand still. needless to say i am sick. tank has a slight dent, no scratches. how much is a new tank? right mirror, right foot peg and brake pedal, rear exhaust bracket and peg, bar end, exhaust header has a scratch and silencer has a scratch. i was shocked as i kept falling over. a driver helped my get it up and i rode away. 1 week old and now this. oh well, gotta live with it. getting it towed to dealer this morning. can't wait to see how much and how long. of coarse i have insurance but what about the time to get the parts and fix it? still sick over it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming you didn't have sliders on? They would have probably saved at least your tank damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no sliders but the tank was barely hit-just a slight dent i did not see at first it was so small - by the switch housing on the handlebar-where "A" on ducati is not on the widest part of the tank. i don't think sliders would have helped there because the bars extended for a second. the bike was "saved" by the bars being straight as it fell and the brake lever stuck out far to soften the blow. it just bent so far for a second, that the switch housing hit the tank. i drove it and it drove straight so i don't think there is any problem with the front end. we'll see when it's towed to the dealer and they access the situation.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So sorry to read. This may be cold comfort, but most of us have dropped our bike at one point in time. Most often as a result of unfamiliarity or just plain old carelessness rushing the bike out of the garage. I'm personally guilty on both counts. The M1200R is a tall bike...at least relative to the Diavel you were previously riding which may require a adaptation period necessitating extra focus for awhile.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your wisdom. i dropped 1 harley and this bike in decades of riding. it is taller than the xds for sure. i have a 30" inseam so the adjustment is truly needed. i'll have to be more aware of leaning stopped.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Dropped mine in the parking lot at work. Apparently the kickstand needs to be ALL the way out before you lean the bike over! :wink

I got my buddy to take out the fairly severe ding in the tank and repaint it. CDN$350 to do it and WAYYYY better paint quality than the stock. I also got him to paint the 80's style Ducati emblem on the tank instead of going for CDN$100 in stickers. I had bar end mirrors, so I smashed the left one to smithereens but since I got them for 10 bucks a set I bought a couple of sets and had it swapped out as soon as I got home. Of note, I have the 60mm Rizoma risers on the bike and I believe they allowed the bars to twist more easily, which caused more damage to the tank. I want even higher risers just so the bars clear the GD tank in case of this happening again!

·
Registered
782 Posts
So sorry to read. This may be cold comfort, but most of us have dropped our bike at one point in time. Most often as a result of unfamiliarity or just plain old carelessness rushing the bike out of the garage. I'm personally guilty on both counts. The M1200R is a tall bike...at least relative to the Diavel you were previously riding which may require a adaptation period necessitating extra focus for awhile.
PPBBFFFTTT. Never dropped the Monster. Have dropped the FJ09 once and crashed it on a dirt road in a mud puddle that was more mud than puddle.

I think the problem is a respect issue. ;)

Helpful part of post, bht, you can look up part prices here. https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts

Also how to pickup a bike, especially a tall/top heavy one. Granted, IMHO, if it's a Hardley, one should just leave it. Maybe set it on fire to make sure it never is rubber side down again. :devil

·
Registered
689 Posts
The only thing better than dropping your bike to the right while walking it out of the garage is to fall over it and damaging the gas tank on the left. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Dropped mine in the parking lot at work. Apparently the kickstand needs to be ALL the way out before you lean the bike over! :wink

I got my buddy to take out the fairly severe ding in the tank and repaint it. CDN$350 to do it and WAYYYY better paint quality than the stock. I also got him to paint the 80's style Ducati emblem on the tank instead of going for CDN$100 in stickers. I had bar end mirrors, so I smashed the left one to smithereens but since I got them for 10 bucks a set I bought a couple of sets and had it swapped out as soon as I got home. Of note, I have the 60mm Rizoma risers on the bike and I believe they allowed the bars to twist more easily, which caused more damage to the tank. I want even higher risers just so the bars clear the GD tank in case of this happening again!
Guys, the bars touching the tank and therefore denting it has always been a problem with the monsters - even those of yore which is...idiotic to say the least, i mean, on other bikes, a small static drop usually results in mirror/levers/pegs scraping which can be replaced with minimum $/€, on the monster though ? **** it, you have to repair the dent, paint the whole friggin tank and if you have the 2014-2016 M1200/S ? Have fun giving another 150-ish dollars/euros for those embossed stickers.

Which brings me to : i'm amazed that Brian actually put higher risers and still managed to damage the tank, the whole problem is due to the risers being low therefore making it easy for the handlebar to touch the tank, something which should be alleviated by installing higher ones, strange...Oh well

PS : Would crashpads/frame sliders help in this situation or not ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speaking from experience...

That'll be anywhere from ~$1000, if you're able to repair the tank and don't need paint work and live with a couple scratches, up to ~$6000 if the tank can't be fixed and you get everything repaired.

It just depends on the extent of the damage on those parts. Could be minor, or it could be really expensive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
689 Posts
Would frame sliders help in this situation or not ?
I have R&G's on my Panigale. I also had a set installed on the wife's CBR300R which have taken one for the team a few times. It would be interesting to read if they were any help at damage control on a Monster drop which is now on my mind?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PPBBFFFTTT. Never dropped the Monster. Have dropped the FJ09 once and crashed it on a dirt road in a mud puddle that was more mud than puddle.

I think the problem is a respect issue. ;)

Helpful part of post, bht, you can look up part prices here. https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts

Also how to pickup a bike, especially a tall/top heavy one. Granted, IMHO, if it's a Hardley, one should just leave it. Maybe set it on fire to make sure it never is rubber side down again. :devil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YfDGKA4Og
lol thank you

·
Registered
782 Posts
The only thing better than dropping your bike to the right while walking it out of the garage is to fall over it and damaging the gas tank on the left. :rolleyes:
This is why if the tipover is on the right, you put the kickstand down before picking it up :angel

·
Registered
313 Posts
I dropped my 1200s the day I got it while trying to move it into the garage luckily it fell on me so I managed to save most of the damage except for a scrape on the seat cowl. I ended up paying $250 to fix that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have R&G's on my Panigale. I also had a set installed on the wife's CBR300R which have taken one for the team a few times. It would be interesting to read if they were any help at damage control on a Monster drop which is now on my mind?
Dar, if you're going the frame slider route for your 1200R i'd recommend the Puig R12 ones as they're pretty long and clear the radiator's length - unlike the Rizoma ones for example which are so short that they might as well not be there and are mostly just for show (pretty much like all their products) :wink

Ok price also, got 'em for 115€

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well your not alone and as the saying goes misery loves company. I dropped my 2006 Triumph Sprint in 2008 when I got my right foot caught between the rear brake and the peg. I broke my right ankle. My mother used to say cheer up things could be worse. I know you want to make it looked like it did in the dealer showroom. It you can live with some minor nicks and scratches you can save some money on repairs. If insurance is being used you should make it look new. Your out the deductible anyway. The only damaged to my Sprint was a scratch on the right side saddle bag. Frame sliders would be a good investment. Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts