Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened. I dropped my Duc last week. No biggie. I was hooking a u-turn in a parking lot and a car backed out. I grabbed too much brake and bike dove. I managed to get my foot down and stop it for a second. Caught it just before it hit the ground...but my foot started to slip before I could get it upright. So, I just stepped off and laid it down as gently as I could. Felt really stupid. But like they say...sooner or later...one way or another...the bike will find the ground. Falling over at a stand still feels stupid but it beats hitting the ground at speed.

Damage was minimal. Bent clutch lever, bent gear shifter, tiny dimple in tank. I got a new clutch lever from the shop and bent the shifter back as best I could. Feels a little off so I may replace it. Anyone got shift lever for an '03?

M

·
0 Posts
just a tip, get the cycle cat frame sliders. i've tipped mine over twice (i'm clumsy) and one of those times it was in the garage into one of our cars, no damage either time. i think its the best 150 bucks you can spend on the monster. not sure if you have them or not but if you don't, definately something to look into. glad you're ok, bikes can be fixed. check ebay for parts.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Cycle Cat sliders are on the list of mods I'd like to do. Too bad my $$$ is limited right now. They would come in handy that is for sure.

O

·
0 Posts
yup it will happen. i did it in the driveway but i just laid the bike down on my leg to avoid denting the tank. hert a lot but i only broke the clutch lever. my leg healed up nicely ;D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I've dropped my bike once, when some lady hit me with her car in traffic.... we werent going fast at all, but she hit me, and I fell over..... no damage cause the Cycle Cat frame sliders took the dive..... the slider that scraped the whole side of her car bent a little, but the slider that took the fall was straight....

All i had to do was get a new bolt and a new slider... and I was back as new again.....

The ladies car was pretty bad... her fender was ripped up... door was crunched in... side veiw mirror broke off... rear quarter panel was ripped up too..... all courtesy of the frame slider....

wouldnt go another day without them!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
It was probably my body that took out the mirror.... or my handlebars... I cant remember that .0000254 seconds it took for it to happen..... I just know the before and after...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mike,
Read the last few days of posts...I saw one where the guy used one of the dent repair kits to fix his bike...doesn't look like it'll mess anything else up...
Renee

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have heard from someone else telling me that the frame slider can potentially induce more damage to Ducatis because the trellis frame does not have enough torsional strength in the lateral direction. Who can verify that? And if the great people at CycleCat (I am your customer! :)) are lurking here, could you guys verify that?

X

·
0 Posts
On the cyclecats the bolt that holds them is designed to break before it tweaks the frame.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks. But I am not talking about it breaking when the bike lowside and slide, I am thinking about when the bike falls ON it, which causes a lateral force onto the frame (sideway force if you are looking at the bike from the front).

I am really thinking about the sliders, too, after talking to Don.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
i've gotta believe there would be much greater force applied to the frame from a lowside at speed that there would be falling over in a parking lot :-/ The difference would be that instead of just lateral pressure, you're getting the lateral pressure + the slide. I wouldn't worry about it.

R

·
0 Posts
Interesting question, I went to Cyclecat's site to try and understand, and came up with the following.
(referenced from http://www.cyclecat.com/S1-1.htm)

>>>note 2 (2. S series frame slider systems are designed to be semi-sacrificial. That is, by design, they will absorb and deflect energy up to the point at which they will offer greater protection through bending or breaking apart (read more about this). Thus, it is possible that in some crashes, a part or parts of the slider system may be damaged or destroyed. As with every Cycle Cat product, all components are available as spare parts. <<
(which is basically what xlemming was saying I believe)

But also, it seems from the image that in most models the stud goes ALL THE WAY through the frame, so the pressure wouldn't be taken completely by the side of the frame (not to mention by the inherent compressibility of the slider itself). The possible exception seems to be 750 Monsters as noted below:

which leads me to note #7
>>>7. 750 Monsters and possibly some super sports from the 1990s may emply two engine mount bolts instead of a single stud passing through the engine casing. Because mounting a slider in the two bolt configuration presents an increased risk of cracking the engine casing in the event of impact, Cycle Cat does not produce slider systems for these bikes. If you have a 750 built in the 90s, it may be desireable to check and verify if your bike has a through-stud or two bolts, prior to ordering a slider system. <<<

Best,
michael m.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I can tell you, having witnessed a nasty highside at the track this weekend, that Cycle Cat sliders are worth the money. The owner of the local Ducati dealer had a nasty highside on his 999 and, while the slider did break, it did protect the majority of the body panels/clutch/engine cases. It certainly would have been worse had he not had the sliders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts