Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Drop In Piston Kit

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jblouch 
#1 ·
Has anyone done this to their Monster? Is it as simple as "dropping" new high compression pistons in, or is it more involved (cylinder honing, etc, etc). I only have 1500 miles on my M900 so there isn't any cylinder wear, to speak of. What do you think?

G
#2 ·
drop-ins are fairly straight forward... you just swap out the new pistons w/rings, wrist pins, and pin clips. you shouldn't hone the cylinder unless it was damaged or scored, if it is then you'll most likely have to have it replated. if that's the case then i'd say bore out the sleeves and go bigger bore along with hi compression. but as long as the crosshatch looks intact you shouldn't have any issues. definitely worth the effort if you've already pulled the heads to replace the rings.

#3 ·
My '94 is has a little blow by starting to happen (21k miles). I was thinking about doing the same thing. What piston kit is recommended for this? I'l like to up the performance while I've got the heads off.

I'm also planning on using a bit of my bonus money to upgrade to Keihin 41mm carbs if that helps at all.

-dj

#4 ·
All that should help. I'm looking at the 11:1 piston kit from Fast by Feracci. They're around $280 or so, depending on who you get them from. A single set of Ducati piston rings is $160, so for a little more you can get the extra boost of high compression pistons for both cylinders. The down side is you have to pull the engine to get to the verticle cylinder. Someone told me if I do this I should also upgrade the studs that hold it all together. FBC also makes/sells those for around $115, I believe. The carbs are going to be more expensive, but the ROI will be good (lots of bang for the buck, as it were). Still haven't decided what I'll do. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.