Discussion Starter #1
Dude found this in a barn (in France)

'86 Paris Dakar champ bike

race pics:

shweet

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Kind of a cool bike, but Cagiva didnt win the Dakar in 1986, Honda did. Cagiva however did win in 1990 and 1994

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
So, is it your elefant now?
I like it. This year I completely missed all coverage of the Paris Dakar.
I heart the big rigs blasting through the desert. Those things rock.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fresh Pants said:
So, is it your elefant now?
I like it. This year I completely missed all coverage of the Paris Dakar.
I heart the big rigs blasting through the desert. Those things rock.

oh, no, not my bike, i just was forwarded the pics off another list...

ducman851 said:
Kind of a cool bike, but Cagiva didnt win the Dakar in 1986, Honda did. Cagiva however did win in 1990 and 1994
I stand corrected! Cyril Neveu of France on a Honda did in fact win in the bike class.

And of course KTM has been winning for ages now -- Good thing they copied the original Elefant, I guess... :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Funky exhaust tube routing.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
buymeabmw said:
Funky exhaust tube routing.
see any similarity?

the "over the clutch" routing is very common on the older bikes. Cagiva used it on the Elefant and Gran Canyon, both Ducati engines.

if you want high ground clearance it gives you about 3-5 inches. I've never liked the stock setup on the Monsters/SS bikes (front cylinder tube running under the crankcase).

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
man, if that thing's your dream bike there's something not quite right going on in your head.

hmmmmmmm. is that too harsh? sorry, i just thought it was kind of appropriate. maybe a bit too borat, now that he's been mentioned? maybe i've just had to work on too many of the elephant/gran canyon/navigator family to appreciate them as anything other than annoying crap. something for the fringe dwellers.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
brad black said:
man, if that thing's your dream bike there's something not quite right going on in your head.

hmmmmmmm. is that too harsh? sorry, i just thought it was kind of appropriate. maybe a bit too borat, now that he's been mentioned? maybe i've just had to work on too many of the elephant/gran canyon/navigator family to appreciate them as anything other than annoying crap. something for the fringe dwellers.
[laugh]

I didnt want to ruin it for Brad

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brad black said:

dream bike as in it would be fun to own.

i don't share your opinion about the elefants and gran canyons. the elefants were revolutionary when introduced and even the first E-650's had the best components (Ohlins rear shock, Akront alu spoke wheels).

I admit they weren't the best in the finish department and the engine was only as good as you were good at tuning a Pantah (which I've had a lot of luck with). Mechanically, the elefants (650/750) were as good as any of the Ducatis of the era with the crappy Cagiva paint quality, and I've had 3 of them (plus several other Cagiva/Ducati bikes).. all very representative of Italian QA of the time.

And I've wanted Gran Canyon for ages -- everyone I know who's had one misses them. You rarely see one with low mileage either, as they get used and loved.

No, nothing's wrong with my head..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts