Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sivan, and DTMsurf

Where were you guys at when I started this topic? I have been taken a beating by "the disbelievers." I think I managed to find every skeptic on this board when I started this thread.

At least now, we have some supporting testimony that the Monster can hang with the Japanese bad boys.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
IOne of the guys said they kept wondering how I was faster than them if they have a knee down and I don't...I think it's funny.
That line along suggests a certain amount of squidness to your friends. If they were fast guys, the knee wouldn't even be part of the conversation. Be happy your faster then them. They bought the bikes for status.
I guess being an ex-R1 owner, I refuse to believe that I will turn better lap times on my Monster on any track. Its a fine bike, but its no sport bike.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Personally, I never even attempt knee dragging lean angles on the street- with rare exceptions (e.g., some industrial/commercial parks). Sure, there are plenty of faster riders out there than I... there are also a whole `lotta riders willing to take bigger risks, too.

Here's David Hough article on ducatimeccanica.com about some of the physics of hanging off:

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/articles/Hanging_off_1.html

Also, IMHO, hanging off is about as squidly as full race tuck on public roadways. If I had a dollar for everytime I see folks sticking their leg out like an outrigger, with a couple of feet of clearance between knee and deck, I'd have myself an M1000 by now. Body positioning and some weight shifting is fine and all that is needed on a street ride.

Lastly, imo, dragging parts may be impressive but it should be realized that grounding out on the the hard parts can cause a crash.

If dragging parts is a problem at trackdays, take steps to alleviate the condition- remove the sidestand, increase ride height, get rearsets, higher mount exhaust, etc.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The twins have more power down low and imlines have it up top. As long as you keep the bike in the power band you will be ok. The average 600 these days kicks ass. In fact most liter bikes will have a hard time keep up with a 600 thru the tight stuff. The 600 is a hard bike to keep up with on even an S4 or S4r with a real rider on it. The top speed of an R1 is suppose to be 173 mph. The top speed of an R6 is 171mph. These are 99-03 numbers I read in a mag. These are stock. Its a hard act to follow.
Here is the kicker. You don't need a special license. Any person with a reason to compansate can walk into a dealer and buy one if he has the money. And most of them sell to people who want to own the best. So in there minds they are the best. And in real life its a no win senario. If you win with an R1, the bike gets the credit. "I would have won too if I had an R!" If you lose, you really suck. Its all you. Its a no winner senario. Its one of the only things I hated about the bike.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Dennis, that's an interesting observation re: who "wins", the bike or the rider. Something to keep in mind.

I think there are two ways to look at the Monster. Sometimes I think I need a second bike, but when I try to decide what that might be, it turns out to be a fleet consisting of an I4, a motard and a tourer and I give up. But it's possible to look at the glass half full, as the Monster does a bit of all pretty well (okay, maybe not touring), and see it as an awesome all around bike with a distinct character.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Make no mistake, I am not going balls out down a residential neighborhood. You want see me cookin down the road in traffic. Here in Alabama, we ride on roads that may see one or two cars every half hour. Is it a track...no, but I ain't draggin a knee through an intersection.

Also, IMHO, hanging off is about as squidly as full race tuck on public roadways.
hanging off is squidly? This must be my problem, all this time I thought low sideing was squidly.

As far as the full tuck thing goes, when one is scoot down the interstate on a naked bike, a full tuck is the easiest way to get comfortable.
Lastly, imo, dragging parts may be impressive but it should be realized that grounding out on the the hard parts can cause a crash.
I am not draggin parts to be cool or "to fit in." I am draggin because I am runnin out of somethin', or got to much of somethin' to make it around the corner.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Dennis, that's an interesting observation re: who "wins", the bike or the rider. Something to keep in mind.

I think there are two ways to look at the Monster. Sometimes I think I need a second bike, but when I try to decide what that might be, it turns out to be a fleet consisting of an I4, a motard and a tourer and I give up. But it's possible to look at the glass half full, as the Monster does a bit of all pretty well (okay, maybe not touring), and see it as an awesome all around bike with a distinct character.
Very well said.
I find my bike be a very well rounded bike. I feel it will be a good track bike and a pleasure to ride around town or the twisties. I love everything about it.

As for you Ducgasm. I am just reving you up. You are winning because you are a strong rider. End of story.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I am not saying I am a BadA$$, I am saying the bike needs more credit than we give it.

TEvo,
I don't usually hang off on roads I am familiar with. On the usual road, I know what is around the corner. I hang off on the other guy's roads. Roads that I am not prepared for and don't know. Then if I get in mid corner and relize I am too hot, I have a little extra lean angle to play with.

If you get into a corner and then relize you should have been hanging off, it's to late.

Back to tucking, when I am going on a trip down the interstate, I do anything to stay comfortable. I prop up on the tank with my forearm, I scoot up one the seat then back on the seat, I hook the heel of my boot on the top of my rear sets so I can prop my arm on my leg, sometimes I even stand up on the seat to stretch my legs ;D, anything. Especially "chin on the tank" tucking. If you have a tank bag, and tuck in, it is almost comfortable enough to take a little nap.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Save the knee dragging for the track. Keep street racing and you will crash. Crashing hurts and it's expensive. Learn to ride safely and smoothly and practice good riding technique. Ride everyday, ride at night, ride in the rain, ride when it's hot, ride when it's cold. That's what makes a good rider.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts