Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
F the pucks. Save em virgin. Then mount whats left of them on a wall next to the pictures from the track day. It will look great in the garage and bring back great memories.
What track are you going to? And when. I will be at VIR shooting April 3,4 and 5th with Team Pro Motion.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dennis,
I will be at Barbers on May 23. I am going to have a couple friends out there with cameras, but you know that is hit and miss.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Nice link. I have tried to establish something like this with my group, but we are all too competitive
The article has been around for 10 years now. I hope you have a fun and safe day at the track! Remember that at a track day, there are no trophies for being the fastest... your only job is to bring it home in one piece ;D

If your group can't ride noncompetively/safely on the streat, have you considered going club racing?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No winners only losers...yeah, I have heard that about track days.

As far as a club, There is a group called FloraBama that I have looked into getting with. But, I have to do some more research. I don't know how I feel about paying a memebership fee for friends. I am sure there is more to it than that, but it seems a little to "frat-guy'ish" If it is, I don't wat any part of that, track days or not.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh. My bad.

I have never heard of those. Are they amature racing organizations?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Good article - Nick Ienatsch is a cool dude. He's the head instructor at Freddie Spencer and in addition to being able to ride the wheels off a motorcycle, he can communicate and teach well. Sadly, for those of us who try to learn from as many sources as possible, some guys who can ride well can't teach for beans.

Mark

PS - Dennis made a great point about track days slowing you down on the street. Not because you're "worse" or actually "slower" per se, but because you start to realize that the street just isn't a place to be at 8, 9, or 10/10ths. Admittedly I first dragged my knee on the street, but haven't done it since getting some track time...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have to admit, I have a favorite exit where I still drag on the street. But the unpredictable nature of blind turns on the street have mee loving the track and not even trying on the street.

·
Registered
270 Posts
iVE BEEN DOING TRACK DAYS FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS NOW & YOU DONT GET ANY FASTER BY SCRAPING. IT TOOK ME ABOUT A YEAR BEFORE I DID IT AND THE FIRST TIME IT SCARED ME AS I WASNT EXPECTING IT. IF YOU TRY TO CONCENTRATE ON SLIDING THE KNEE INSTEAD OF WHATS AHEAD, THEN YOU WILL CRASH. ESPECIALLY ON THE ROAD!!!!!
ITS ALL ABOUT BEING COMFORTABLE & SMOTH. THE BEST ADVICE I WAS TOLD IS LEARN HOW TO GO FAST SLOWLY! I WOULD RATHER BE IN FRONT OF MY MATES ANY WAY.SLIDDING MY KNEE OR NOT THE FRONTS ALWASYS THE PLACE TO BE

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A little heavy on the caps lock, dude! ;D

I agree full, though. One of the locals here went down at Deal's Gap a couple weeks ago. Dumb sh!t went for his first ride of his second season, on a retired race R6 that he knew nothing about. To top it off, he went alone! Never been there before. Well, the first thing he showed me (aside from his racked up bike) was his barely scraped knee slider. Seems he was so anxious to get his knee down, he crashed, twice!

Moral to this story, don't try so hard to get a knee down, just be smooth. Of course, I think I said that on page 1...

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
DucGasm,

Knee dragging is up there with chicken strips, stunting, coasting, motor oil and chain lube, all vintage flame war materials. Don't feel bad.

Your friends can't outrun you on the technical roads thanks to your upright posture and massive torque, and your skillz, of course. Keep up the good work.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
DucGasm,

Knee dragging is up there with chicken strips, stunting, coasting, motor oil and chain lube, all vintage flame war materials. Don't feel bad.

Your friends can't outrun you on the technical roads thanks to your upright posture and massive torque, and your skillz, of course. Keep up the good work.
I felt the sarcasim with the skillz thing,

how does the posture help?

One of the guys said they kept wondering how I was faster than them if they have a knee down and I don't...I think it's funny.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I felt the sarcasim with the skillz thing,

how does the posture help?

One of the guys said they kept wondering how I was faster than them if they have a knee down and I don't...I think it's funny.
No sarcasm meant, I was kidding.

The fastest bikes on technical roads are motards, and the Monster is a lot closer to a motard than any of the other bikes in the pack. The high and wide handlebars/clipons give you more leverage for steering while keeping the weight off, and it's easier to stand on the pegs and let the bike handle surface irregularities for you.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have some friends with sport bikes and I can beat them through technical turn sections mainly because of the low powerband on my bike and proper gear selection. V twins can come out of turns at lower rpms with more pull than I 4s (duh) my buddy (has an 03 R1) gets caught up in making the right gear choice, and when to brake, and so on, when I just drop it in 2nd or 3rd and go. I also find using engine braking instead of putting on the brakes makes me a little faster. The I 4s dont engine brake like we do.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts