Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out riding today with 2 FZ1s, 2R1s, and a TL1000s.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stop trying so hard. Just be smooth and gradually increase in speed, the knee will touch down when it's ready. If you're already dusting your buddies in the tight stuff, I wouldn't worry about the knee.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Speed and kneed dragging don't always go together. Most of the time its done on the slowest turn on the track. Most of the Monster guys I met say they are dragging hard parts as they drag knee. I have yet to get knee on my S4R. I have dragged on pretty much everything else I have ridden. Have someone take your pictures as you are trying. You will find it very helpful. The above pictures are different riders getting knee. Notice the different styles/

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Personally, I tuck my knees in, but if you just stick it out, you shouldn't have any problem touching down. And......tell your buddies to go to school, most of those bikes are much faster in the twisties. Take pride in knowing that you are the best rider of the group.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Any point to sticking out and dragging your knee?
A couple of reasons.
1. Gauge lean angle as to where pavement is.
2. If by some chance you start to push the front end (start a lowside) you can apply abit of pressure with the down knee and possibly right the bike.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I tuck my knees in, but if you just stick it out, you shouldn't have any problem touching down. .
I had always tucked my knees until I got knee pucks, but now I am anxious to see what all the fuss is about draggin.

And......tell your buddies to go to school, most of those bikes are much faster in the twisties. Take pride in knowing that you are the best rider of the group
I may be wrong, but it is my understanding the inline4s, having higher power bands, weren't as...efficient...in the curves. Now, long sweepers I4's rule, but tight, double backs, and decreasing radius turns like we were in today are more managable with the lower PB v-twins. But, I may be wrong.

Either way, I do take pride in cookin guys with 30-40 more ponies than are pullin me. Sportbike riders think the liter bikes are gods. Well, there is a new Italian diety provoking dissention. I smell a coup.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Right on Duc! I know exactly what you mean. I've ridden with guys who buy the newest, fastest thing out there, but can't ride them fro ****. Feels good to know that all the reading and practicing pay off where it counts... 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was all rider. Those bikes should have killed you. The R1's have more power everywhere then my S4R will ever have. Your friends need some practice.
Maybe I need slower friends?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I've noticed for me personally, that the natural hanging-off kept my knee tucked in tight against the bike. I have to deliberately work on pushing the knee out.

There's a third reason for putting the knee out:
The whole point of hanging off is to get the man/machine center of gravity as far inside as possible. It's not much, but sticking that knee out there shifts a little more inside.

I just got sliders, so we'll see if I can put them down on the track this summer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
All this talk of sliders and knee draggin.... in the streets... :eek:

I sure do feel sometimes like I am on a track in these italian roads,
but in the end,

road is always bi-directional, so be careful out there.

If You find a road with "non-blind" tight curves to knee drag,
that might be the best curvy road ever.

Skier

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have to say you guys really don't have any faith in the almighty duc.

Yeah, I know those R1s are fast as hell, but, as far as riding experience goes, I have only been riding 1 year, and these guys are life-long 'ers. These guys are track day freaks, and I have learned alot from them. So, the experience level is definetly not the difference. BTW, neither of the R1s nor the TL1000 have chicken strips. It could just be the stupidity, 'cause I have excess of it.

I have rode with numerous Japenese bikes. The 600 are great bikes, but I don't have any trouble with them. As far as the big boys go, any roads with long sweepers and pleanty of straights I get smoked. But, when we stay in 40-50 mph tight twists with little to no straights the Duc seems to really shine.

Maybe I live in a world of ignorence. Maybe in my life I have only been exposed to slow people, and can't appreciate the magnitude of the advantage the Japanese bikes have. Maybe Alabama is the only place in the world where no one but me shows any level of riding skill. Maybe no one I have riden with can express the true brilliance of the Japanese machine. Maybe I am the luck customer who stumbled onto an above average S4. Maybe all these things hold true in only my little world and that explains my tremendous respect for the Monster. Maybe it is something else, maybe there is a fundamental flaw in the ruler others choose to measure the bikes. Or, maybe it is the one holding the ruler...

later guys,
chris

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or maybe its that guys who ride on the track, tend not to let it really hang out on the street. There is a funny thing that happend to people who get regular track time. They slow down on the street. The street is a dangerous place. You get used to the safty of the track, and would feel sooo stupid if you wadded it up on the street.
The liter bikes are much harder to ride on a the tight stuff. This is not because of less power down low, but because one needs to restrain themselve. Its very easy to highside or lose the rear from the power. So it is easier to just keep up and then take advantage of the big power during the little straights to pass.
Also, some people buy big bikes to be fast. They can't handle the techical stuff, so they buy the big liter bike to again play catch up on the straights.
135 hp bikes are a hand full. They shine on the faster sweepers/faster tracks/ But when you read reviews, its not rare to see the pro's doing better times on the 600's. When the R6 came out, the mags tested them and were getting better times then the R1 on the tight tracks. Bug bikes are better then 15 years ago, but they are still big bikes.
I have faith in the Monster. It is a fine bike. But to me its a standard motorcycle. Not a race bike. I do not expect it to be able to out perform a real sport bike with a real rider on it. Your average S4R puts out 113 hp I guess. Your average 600 is comung up to the 110 mark and weighs much less and handles like its on rails. I am just realistic. The Monster is by far not the best bike, but it is the one we like best. Your allowed to like something best, without it being the best. There is nothing wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
As constructive criticism... don't go try dragging a knee on public roads.

http://www.canyonstrafers.com/events/the_pace.htm

It's *required* reading for anyone who rides with the group I ride with.

Have you done a track day or track school? In my own on track experience the virgin touchdown comes when you're NOT trying to drag a knee, but trying to be as smooth and efficient a rider as you can.

Kneedragging is hardly a measure of a fast rider. At Pocono East, I got smoked by an 65+ y/o old racer on a Kawasaki w650 (triumph bonneville clone). Heavier, less hp, and less ground clearance than my m600. He was 5sec/lap faster, even with me dragging a knee in every single corner!

I've also only have a little more than a year under my belt, and it's easy to get overconfident. Your "slow" track-going buddies might not be as slow as you think and are riding at a more street-appropriate pace. Almost every single rider I know who does/done track days slows down tremendously in their street riding... do a day and you'll see what I mean.

This post's intent is in the most constructive, non-flaming way I can type... [smiley=ok.gif]

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or maybe its that guys who ride on the track, tend not to let it really hang out on the street.
I considered this. It could be the guy was having a bad day. He was actually come to think of it, probs with the wife. Anyway, the track thing doesn't hold up because he is the most competeive guy among us. He thinks all the world is a game and if he can't win he won't play.

Don't use the word standard. Thats like nails on a chalk board. Bad Dennis Bad. Maybe not a straight up sport bike, but please tell me it's not a standard.

I am just realistic. The Monster is by far not the best bike, but it is the one we like best. Your allowed to like something best, without it being the best. There is nothing wrong with that.
thanks man...*sniffel*...you really scared me. Maybe it's not the best in the world, but it's the best in "my little world."

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok fine, here is the real deal. There is one guy (R1) in the group who is always the fastest on the street. I had never riden with him. The other guys in the group wanted me to spank him because the dude thinks R1's rule the world. Now, I know I shouldn't be out there tryin to burn it up on the street, but I am still a guy. I am still competitive, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to show out. Yeah, its dumb/immature/irresponsible, but it felt [email protected] good.

So fine. Send me to Duc-hell, I deserve it. Curse me with cold tires and plague me with straight roads. I hope you are all happy.

As constructive criticism... don't go try dragging a knee on public roads.
True.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts