Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my M696 carbon front fender today and I am a little pi$$ed. I thought the quality would be a lot better but it seems that there is at least 5 places where there is pitting in the clear coat and some very minor...very small areas where the laminate did not make full contact with the carbon fiber which created some very small air pockets between the two...very small, as in a tip of a fine tip pen. I have not bought CF before and I'm wondering if anyone had the same problems and if this is normal for CF.

·
Registered
197 Posts
bummer! show it to your dealer if you ordered it there.

i just got a shift-tech front sprocket cover and it is immaculate, and all my CF will be from them in the future if possible.

http://www.shift-tech-carbon.com/shop/

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bummer! show it to your dealer if you ordered it there.

i just got a shift-tech front sprocket cover and it is immaculate, and all my CF will be from them in the future if possible.

http://www.shift-tech-carbon.com/shop/
I know. this is BS. I bought it online from a dealer and it is a OEM Ducati part but the quality seems like crap. I must have bad luck. I know the 1100s comes with the CF front fender...I wonder if it is of the same poor quality...

·
Registered
197 Posts
the front fender on my 1100S doesn't seem to be suffering the same defects as yours. i would ask for a replacement. i would say, however that it is not of the same quality as the shift-tech item.

i think you just got a bad one, but maybe someone else who has a DP fender will chip in and let you know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the underside of your fender on your 1100S? The one I received is very raw and unfinished. I've looked at some of the other CF parts online and the underside of the parts are finished much better. Almost as good as the visible side but not quite. The DP fender is awful on the underside...I know no one will see it but it make it seem even cheaper of a part. Have you noticed this on your other CF parts as well?

·
Registered
197 Posts
to be honest, i haven't even looked. been too busy dealing with an oil leak that wants to smear itself all over the lower casings and rear wheel... :)

as for CF for the monster in general, i'm going shift-tech where possible.

i'm hoping that someone offers a really nice CF shroud for the US market instead of the ugly plastic offering that comes with the bike. i saw one on here somewhere and it looked really good, especially if you intend removing the pretty unsightly canister.

·
Registered
20 Posts
to be honest, i haven't even looked. been too busy dealing with an oil leak that wants to smear itself all over the lower casings and rear wheel... :)
On a side note and not to thread jack...

Just in case you didn't find the source of the oil leak...I have a 09 M696 that had a leak from the head gasket which would pool up on the lower casing and splatter onto the rear fender. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts