Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the DP Comfort Seat today for my M1100S. It was on order for quite a long while unfortunately so I have had the opportunity to ride quite a few miles already with the stock seat. I decided on the comfort seat primarily in an effort to save my cajones. It does raise my riding position up just a little bit as it gets rid of most of the dip in the seat near the tank. I may want to put the stock seat back on for any track days just to lower the cg a bit. Under hard braking or even just casual riding, I realized I was bracing myself somewhat so I didn't smash my nads. The new seat has eliminated all of that. Best of all, the new seat in my opinion is much more attractive with some decorative red stitching and a more grippy surface on the sides of the seat plus it feels as if it has a better grade of foam.

By the way, before anybody starts responding what a wimp I am for wanting to save the jewels, let me explain. I raced MX, hare scrambles and enduros for over 30 years and I have taken enough shots down there that I really don't want to experience that anymore!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did the bars/ergos seem to change at all? It seems like raising the seat would effectively lower the bars? I was thinking of a touring or low seat because I want to save the nads also....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the bars/ergos seem to change at all? It seems like raising the seat would effectively lower the bars? I was thinking of a touring or low seat because I want to save the nads also....
Yes BBC Chop, the ergos did change slightly but not enough to be uncomfortable for me. I am 5' 10" and 180 lbs. and I do notice I lean forward just a little bit more but not bad at all. I have only ridden about 100 miles since I installed the seat so my opinion may be subject to change but I know the nads are happy with the new seat. If after lots more miles, I come to realize I am leaning a bit too much for my comfort level, I may consider some Rizoma bar risers but for now, I am very happy with the seat and riding position.

The seat installs as easy as the stocker and the seat cowling fits just as well.

As with anything Ducati, the price is a little much I thought (approx. $220 list) but what price do you want to put on saving the jewels?

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's true, the DP comfort seat as it's shipped does sit up maybe 15mm or so higher than the stocker, but it's considerably more comfortable. In being more level, it actually takes a bit of the weight OFF your wrists compared to the stock seat. In my opionion, there was still room for improvement. I wanted the seat nearly level, so I took the cover off and re-shaped the foam a little more to "fit" me. My primary focus was to level it out, and make the seat more contoured to fit me more personally. Do NOT be afraid to to this - but DO take your time if you do. Sand foam, tack cover back on with 2-4 staples, test, and repeat as needed. I put a thread on here somewhere describing it in detail "back in the day". I think it was called "This where we say "Hi"?.

Funny this post just came up. Ironically, after about 4000 miles on the DP seat, I put the stocker back on this morning just to see if I remembered what it felt like. It's still a hair lower, but much stiffer, flater, and more angled towards the tank. Maybe I'll just keep it handy for track days. The other is far more comfortable for day-to-day riding. Also - remember that the foam will break in after 1500mi or so (but that still doesn't help the lean angle).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. What about the Low seat--I'm thinking that is flat and will in effect raise the bars slightly and be an overall improvement. I just don't have one to try before I make the order!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a low comfort seat today for my '09 M1100. The seating position is improved (although not by a tremendous amount) but my relation to the bars is improved. I put a Corbin on my '07 SV1000S (which was lower than the stocker) with similar results. I prefer to have less weight on my wrists.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks TAS! I think I will go that way or do it myself. The stock is worthless when you are done so I might Frankenstein it and if it doesn't work then I'll buy the low one (or the 796 seat, I hear it is under $200)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, get the comfort and experiment on the stock one. There's an ebay seller that has a nice seat cover for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No problem BBC. Let me know how your stock seat trimming works out. I'll probably do the same; trim the foam flat or even slightly sloping to the rear and recovering with one of the nicer models available on eBay.
Have a great 4th of July!

·
Registered
241 Posts
My stock seat is at the upholsterer now. I am planning on adding the Motocreation EEC which will allow me to remove the motor for the exhaust valve under the seat. Then I can reshape the pan to give me some more room. Will post some pics when I am done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts