Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted this under racing but no one reads that I guess. I haven't been on the track before and I am really starting to think hard about my riding skills. My question is regarding downshifting. How does downshifting differ on the track versus on the street? When I am coming to a stop on the street I usually downshift through every gear. Except when I need to stop fast. I can see how on track this might be how you are supposed to do it.

On the street, do you guys/girls downshift through every gear, blipping the throttle for every shift? Or do you just hold the clutch in, brake, and shift down to first?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I downshift through every gear (blip the throttle) coming to a stop cause it sounds cool!

but when going into a turn i downshift before i get there and accelerate through.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Go through each gear unless its "stop right now". Blip between downshifts. Feb 2004 SportRider mag had some quick advice on technique and practice.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downshift through all gears, but never blip the throttle. I know, I know, every one says to, but I just easy-out the clutch. I am sure one day I will do something dumb and it will bite me in the ass. But, I never even think about shifting when the bike is leaning... except when exiting a turn to go up a gear, sometimes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I downshift through all gears, but never blip the throttle. I know, I know, every one says to, but I just easy-out the clutch. I am sure one day I will do something dumb and it will bite me in the ass. But, I never even think about shifting when the bike is leaning... except when exiting a turn to go up a gear, sometimes.
I think its "ok" to ease out the clutch.. :). no worries. but downshifting in the turn is something u dont want to do :).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay - guess I'll be the first to admit it.
Yes I have in fact downshifted in a turn. One of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time as it was a long smoth turn and I just had to catch my buddy on his GSXR. to compound matters I was riding a MotoGuzi, boy did that thing stand up quick and attempt to cut straight across. Managed more by luck than anything else to save the day by putting on some more power and sliding out the back end. I appreciate you race guy's do this all the time but this was my first and only attempt.
Still i thought I'd give some insight in how to save your ass (and bike) should you be foolish enough to try and downshift in a conrner, no matter how long and smooth it might seem.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not the leaning. If you don't match revs or ease out the clutch, you'll potentially lock up the rear. That's why some bikes have slipper clucthes,
Yeah, but come on, locking up the rear in the straights isn't really that dangerous. When I was younger (15) I did it all the time on my little Rebel. It was like a bicycle, just lock 'er up and let the back wheel get loose. If it gets to outta hand just back off. Sure, you might low side, but If you think that way don't do it. And, I never let it get that far out.

I don't know why I told that story. I never lock up the wheel on the Duc anyway. And when you drop a gear to quickly, the back wheel doesn't jsut lock up. It also does this weird hoppy thing. The hoppy thing is kinda scarey, but by the time you gwt scared it has caught again and you are on you way.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only use the clutch when starting out, or coming to a stop. The rest of the time, it's 100% clutchless, up or down, just a blip of the throttle.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess if that's what you call it. On up shifts, I just slightly let off the throttle for a split second and shift. It's really very fast and smooth. on down shifts, I blip the throttle and shift precisely at the same time. There's never any clunking or ginding, just a smooth shift.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have heard of this, but I am afraid to try. I love my loud a$$ clutch.

Sequential transmission, right? Is that why it works? Is there such thing as an un-sequential tranny?

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can't be afraid of it. Besides, if you don't use the clutch, how can you hurt it? ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WELL, I only pick up blips in extreme cases, when they are comin in hot, flamin' hot. That increase the probablity of "screwing the pooch,"

and I like to keep my "pooch" un-screw-able.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Yeah, Herb. Don't be touchin' my pooch either.

Kevin

·
Registered
351 Posts
WELL, I only pick up blips in extreme cases, when they are comin in hot, flamin' hot. That increase the probablity of "screwing the pooch,"

and I like to keep my "pooch" un-screw-able.
That there's some damn good riding technique advice. Should engrave that into my upper triple clamp between my clip-ons...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts