Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the track before and I am really starting to think hard about my riding skills.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I take it pretty easy on the street so I usually downshift and use engine braking to slow for corners.

But once I went to the track day I had to get used to braking to slow down and just downshifting as needed. Matching the engine speed after hard braking and a double downshift going into a really tight turn takes some practice.

But if you use engine braking much on the track, you just seem to be going WAY too slow.

I think the slipper clutch would be a great addition if you did quite a few track days. I had the wheel hopping a few times on my downshifts. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I think I'm in for a educating time on my first track day!! But I can't wait, nervous but excited! May 9th it is.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Track day is a blast! Just do your own thing and go your own pace.

You will definitely feel the improvement. My riding buddies noticed the difference in my cornering style, etc. afterwards.

;D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't worry too much about specific technique before hand. You can pick up stuff as you go. So long as you go with an open mind and don't ride beyond your limits, learning and having fun is guaranteed.

IMO, downshifting is done for the purpose of being in the gear that affords maximum acceleration off the corner before the next. On the track, things happen faster, so braking and downshifting is combined.

I backshift by the throttle blip method. There are other methods, Jason Pridmore teaches keeping the throttle cracked open slightly during the downshift. Eric Bostrom reputedly uses clutch modulation alone.

For backroads riding, I use it as opportunity to practice downshifting technique. For general in-town riding/commuting, depends on whether I'm feeling lazy or not (and how much noise I want to make...).

Have a good time out there!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool...Thanks for the insight. I didn't know if there was a specific right and wrong way to do it. I just don't want to look like a dumba$$ when I get out there.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I don't want to look like a dumba$$ either, but I probably will! I told Dennis he couldn't take my pic if I really looked stupid, he said " no way" so I said at least don't post it on the DML if I really look stupid!
All I know is I am going to learn alot and have loads of fun!! ;D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to look like a dumba$$ either, but I probably will! I told Dennis he couldn't take my pic if I really looked stupid, he said " no way" so I said at least don't post it on the DML if I really look stupid!
All I know is I am going to learn alot and have loads of fun!! ;D
Don't you worry Deb. The beginners class you will be attending covers down shifting and braking in detail. Your first session of the day will feel slow for everyone as they teach the line. After that they explain why they did what they did and how to be smooth Your class sessions last until lunch. Then you get to ride on your own the rest of the day. But instructors will still work with you if you ask. Glen Goldman the owner will even tak you for a two up ride to show you want real lean angle will feel like. It helps many people. And he will drag knee during this ride. Its something else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts