Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've got this monster 1000. prior to that i had this little h*nda cb360t. i've always downshifted when coming to a stop on my honda. well, i've learned not to do that on my monster. i grabbed a handful of brake and started downshifting after having a car come to a fairly sudden stop in front of me the other day; as i'm slowing down and dropping into first, the rear wheel decides to hop out to the left a good bit. scared the s41+ outta me. mental note: no sudden downshifting.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always down shift, but if when I get a bit careless the bike always lets me know with a few hops, jumps, and skids.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now you know why there's so much talk of slipper clutches! Once you get to know your bike a bit better, those episodes will become less frequent.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've had the bike hop before when downshifting, but this is the first time i've ever had it try to slide out from under me. . . probably something that i'll get used to over time, i'm sure.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many gears did you down shift?
i was going down out of 3rd. while braking i would downshift 1, clutch out, downshift 1 clutch out, hop-hop-hop. it seems like there's a much bigger difference going from 3 to 2 than there is going from 2 to 1.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can vouch for the wheel hopping ability of the 1000. It caught me be surprise on more than one occasion, but I was really beating on it. I thought it was just getting pissed off at me!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I have done it a time or two on my 620. Seems that I dont pay attention to which gear I am in sometimes. I learned that downshifting from 2 to 1 can catch you off guard. I usually downshift to 2 just so I can let the cagers know I am around pulling up to stop lites.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got the crap scared out of me doing that exact same thing. I'm used to riding my little 620 and then rode an R1 and decided to down shift...won't be doing that again!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never had an inline 4 with as much engine breaking as a big twin...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
wheel hop from downshifting and not matching revs caused my first crash. Opps

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
With my HD the tire just chirps, I don't feel any movement, I have never done it , yet, on my Monster.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On my I4 if I relly beat on it I can get the rear tire to lock up. Kinda fun. ;D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brake pads are cheaper and easier to change than clutch components.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts