Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I used a different technique to adjust my valves...

got the info off the valve-adjustment video that's out there... can't remember the measurements but here's some of the info...

Opener shim - you should be able to turn the shim with your fingers with just some difficulty... like it's pretty tight.

Closer shim - I used a feeler gauge to check it... my numbers are different from yours though.

Chris Ice helped me with the valve adjustment. You might want to email him. He's on here, as well as on the SFBMHA roster (he goes by Monkey Boy on the SFBMHA).

Daffe

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
You are on the right track.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Post script to my reply above:

Check the thickness of the opener that's at .005" and compare with the one that's at .002"

For example, if the one that is at .005" measures 3.75mm, you can swap it to the valve that has the.002 opener.

You may be able to swap one or both to the other position and correct one or both without having to buy or sand down a shim. No guarantees, but sometimes it pays off to compare the shims at positions that are out of spec.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
BTW, after you've got a full set of notes as i've got shown above, compare the "shim is" numbers to the "new shim" numbers to see if you can swap shims around. (as mentioned above)

;D chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a ton for the help guys, it is more of a "black art" than I thought, but fun to learn how to do it.
Do the wire collets that hold the closer shims on "have" to be replaced if they look OK? MY local duck mechanic, who I trust not, said they do need to be replaced every time they come off!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
i like to put them back in, but keep them in the same orientation. notice that on the "top", the dents are inset to the inside a little bit, while on the "bottom" of the wire collet, the dent is absolutely flat on the bottom...

keep puttin `em back in and they'll work harden and you won't need to "adjust" the valves mush after 12k miles. the MBP collets don't deform and form a more perfect joint between valve and shim, hence the longer service interval.

:) chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts