Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You ride your bike to work for the first time and people want to have a look at it. Someone who has previously ridden bikes jumps on for a sit and the key is in the off position. They put it back on the stand and turn the key just that little bit past the LOCK position.

You know the one. The one that turns the parking lights on. Only I don't notice it.

Someone came up to our floor to say there was a motorbike with its lights on. Hmm, that'd be me. But the battery was too far gone. Fortunately aforementioned motorbike rider was able to assist in the push starting process (ie I pushed and he started) then I took it for a bit of a lunch time ride and prayed I didn't stall it.

Its all good now.......

G

·
My VMax had issues. I often had to push start it. I find push starting anything is easy compared to the VMax. 2nd gear is almost always best. I helped push start a car a few weeks ago. I made the owner push. I had it going in 10 feet. Iknow if I let the kid try it would have been a long push. They never get the let the clutch out for a split second part.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Push starting isn't that bad if you know what you're doing... and not all kids are ignorant to this sort of thing ;D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've no problem doing it in a car. But on the bike I was having troubles. It was in a confined space and I wasn't confident of the the clutch out and in again in time. Plus the bike was stone cold and its a bit of a tart when cold.

G

·
You let others sit on your bike?! That's too personal..almost like letting 'em wear your underwear! I don't let others on my bike at all, unless it's a hottie wanting a ride! ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
That would really piss me off......I hate it when someone thinks they have the right to just walk up and jump on your bike... it's rude...I'ld probably casually say to the guy who left your lights on...."so how about some money for a new battery?"...even if you don't really need a new one...somehow it just feels like justice.......................

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Sounds to me like the real problem is not removing the key when you get off of the bike. Not that I haven't left the key in the ignition a few times while the bike has been parked at a public place. :-[

·
Registered
211 Posts
I get a really uneasy feeling when someone sits on my bike. If I'm around I always make sure they ask. I told friend of mine who dosen't cycle that it's not cool at all to just hop on a guy's bike. He saw where I was coming from so I guess he won't be doing it.

G

·
On of my friend's friends was sitting on my bike a few weeks ago when we were standing around shooting the sh*t... I was ok with it but then he put the kick stand up. That was as far as I let that go. :mad:

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
yeah, that irks me when i see people touch all of the controls push all the buttons they can, grab at the throttle etc.. i had a guy at work try to press in my starter while my ride was already on. "what does this do...." needless to say i smacked his hand before he could, "don't touch that!"

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i have a hard enough time letting my motorcycle savvy friend sit on mine, let alone ride it (which will never happen again). i usually dont even let people touch it.

of course i'm so paranoid i lock the forks even in the garage, even tho i live in a neighborhood thats had one broken window in the past 10 years. drives my dad nuts when he cant move my bike out of the way to get his out. o well thats what he gets for riding a honda

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I don'ty let many people sit on my bike either. I was at my normal hang out bar a few months ago and I looked out through the fornt window to see some drunk dumbass sitting on my bike, with his feet up on the pegs! Needless to say that I almost flipped. If the bartenders hadn't been friends of mine and defused the situation I think it could have gotten ugly.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
used to have a sticker that said "don't touch this bike unless your naked and have t!ts" Honestly i haven't found anyone ever sitting on my bike as it definately would be a large problem for that individual. It probably would lead to court ordered Anger Management classes among other things :mad:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now I have to chime in again...........

As bad as it is when someone sits on your bike, it's even worse when they start pushing buttons like someone has already mentioned....or adjusting things....plus some people have to look the bike over like they are looking for something wrong....I feel the same when I get a new car....Drives me BALLISTIC!!! I've always thought I was just obsessive with my motorized vehicles....looks like I'm not the only one..................enough said...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts