Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Does your Left hand switch move? ?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  S4R4FUN 
#1 ·
A week ago i noticed that my left switch (the one with the horn, lights, etc) has a lash. I tried to tighten up the 2 screws but they were already tightened at maximum level. Is that normal or something has got loosen? A friend of mine told me that this switch has a lock pin inside and this thing tends to break. In his monster he unsrewed the whole switch, put some ductape and now it's fine.

#2 ·
Mine moves, but I only noticed it after I was hit with an excursion....so I'm leaning twrd that's what caused it to break the nub off.

#4 ·
I just put ductape underneath of the switch and is now steady as new.. The only thing is that the fast idle switch is ''harder'' now to turn.

#5 ·
+1 on a small piece of tape. I used some thin double sided tape just because I had some on hand. A piece the size of a postage stamp did the trick.

#7 ·
Norm said:
I use friction tape. The first thing I do when installing all the bar switches is to grind off ALL the locking nubs so I can position everything how I want it.
+1 on fricition tape, that stuff is awesome, shame that 99% of the people working in the local stores don't know what the hell I'm asking for when I'm looking for it

#8 ·
hiero said:
+1 on fricition tape, that stuff is awesome, shame that 99% of the people working in the local stores don't know what the hell I'm asking for when I'm looking for it
Sporting goods store. Hockey players use lot's of it.

#10 ·
Thread drift.....

Now that you all mention it, I haven't seen friction tape in a while. When I was younger, it was as common as electrical tape in hardware stores.

#11 ·
Mark1305 said:
Thread drift.....

Now that you all mention it, I haven't seen friction tape in a while. When I was younger, it was as common as electrical tape in hardware stores.
hahah, yes, I like that, thread 'drift'

home depot DOES carry it, but you gotta go find it and of all things, they were actually out of stock the last time I tried to find it, I picked up a roll of 3M scotch Rubber electrical tape (2242) and have been using that to great success for numerous different applications. It conforms very well and the adhesive holds VERY well and more importantly, does NOT get gummy after prolonged use. It's nice and thick too, so you can use it to pad underneath the switches to shore up the looseness.

Very good alternative if you can't find the friction tape

#13 ·
Dave 1304 said:
Best option is cut a section out of an aluminum beer can (other cans are just as good, but this way you get an excuse for a beer) . Soft metal, non rusting and cheap. You can clamp it up and it will last forever. Ref: "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
How did you ever finish that book...I tried and tried and only got halfway through it was the driest work ever....I wanted to like it...I applaud you sir. [clap]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.