Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to commute 4 to five days a week and the highway I'll take allows me to cruise from 65 to 85 mph. I rode the route I'm going to take on my m620, but without the fairing it felt a little unconfortable.

So, should I buy a fairing for the monster? The only one I like so far is the stocker... is it worth it?

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Gus.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In the case "MONSTER2 i do not know, 'cause i still not own one :-/, but last week a bought a fairing (almost the same size as the monster fairing)for my little bandit and it helps a lot!! I guess the same effect could be experienced on a monster. You have also 2 wheels and wind in your face ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it help a little bit,a little fairing is better than no fairing at all.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Herb, what kind of fairing is that? Any pics from the front?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PM Deb(DUCnHAR). I'm sure she has a pic from the front. I saw it in person this weekend, looks really sleek. Much more streamlined than the stocker.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I have the stock fairing, yes it is a little animated at speed I don't know if it actually offers any protection from the elements. It at least protects the delicate Italian tach and speedo from the rain. We all know that it dosen't rain in Italy...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got factory fairing for my 620ie because I wanted something that would protect the gauge cluster in case a rock or something flew up and hit it. I was surprised that it did deflect some air, not alot but not bad. Plus I think it looks good.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I've tried riding with the minifairing, with nothing, and with a plexiglass windshield. I tried each of the three multiple times and finally settled on the original fairing, which was much more solidly attached in the 1997 version. It cuts enough wind to make a difference, especially at higher speed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I took mine off and I like it better. I've gotten used to the wind and it doesn't really bother me. I'm such a tall guy, the fairing didn't help much. One of the reasons i got rid of it was because it was a cheap carbon fiber fairing that had faded badly in the sun. I may paint it a matte black and try it on again. But there's no rush as i like my monster naked ;)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My dark didn't have one when I bought it, then I added one from an S model, and now I've taken it off again. It really didn't make that much of a difference, and it clashes somewhat with the naked bike philosphy. I like it much better without it.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
My experience is the same as Scotts.
Doc

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too agree with Scott.

There are many who consider the front of the bike sacrosanct, and a fairing to be a perversion against all that is holy. Me? I take mine on and off, definately putting it on when riding at speed on the freeway. I find that even taking some wind from my chest helps me to be less assaulted, which given a lightweight bike and relatively upright seating, can make for an easier ride.

I use an older, color matching Zero Gravity that's a bit larger than either the current standard or the fly. Oh, and a bit wider. I seems similar to this (pic compliments of David): Much like what Scott referred to.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/ImageFolio3/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=DML_Member_Bikes&image=ducati_-_13.JPG&img=72&tt=

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Some of the older factory windscreens supposedly dont fit on the newer post 1999 monsters because of the tach of the newer ones. But, I have seen older monsters using newer tachs and older screens, so perhaps its just that the fit is "tight,"

just wanted you to be aware of these issues before you buy one.

And yes the stocker works well :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the heads up ASF.

I guess I'll fork-out the money for the fairing then. As soon as I decide on the design... :)

Thanks for all the replies, it defenitely helped.

Gus.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Gus,

I fab'd a custom windscreen for the pre-00 DP fairing. The stock screen was:

1. too light (tintless)
2. Too bulky

The one I made is darker, shorter, still offers great wind protection, and allows the pre-00 DP fairing to fit on the newer instrument cluster, albeit a really tight fit.

I like the pre-00 DP fairing because of its slung back nature, whereas the newer ones, while short, are pretty vertical with a minimal slope. I believe that plastic one from JC whitney shares the same shape/sihouette as the pre 00 DP one (more slung back).

http://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Misc/DML_Posts/DP_Custom_screen.JPG

http://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Misc/DML_Posts/DP_Custom_screen_(7).JPG

http://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/DML_Member_Bikes/MyDucBW3.JPG

I can make one for you or fax you the template and you can cut it yourself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts