Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a set of OZ Buccis that I got from motowheels for my 695.

Front fits fine. Rear is wide, requires a wider tire, but the problem is that (according to my mechanic) it does not fit between the swing-arms of the bike.

The guys at motowheels say to force it, my mechanic thinks that's ridiculous and that forcing it could jeopardize the integrity of the swingarms (basically, he won't do it); he suggested having someone machine the wheel down so it will fit.

Has anyone run into this?

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
I don't think any body here literally said to force it. But if you ask anyone that has installed a lot of wheels on double sided swingarm Monsters will find that the swingarm tolerances are not very consistent. We've had to spread some of the swingarms apart slightly because people have over tightened the axles or just had swingarms and wheels at the opposite ends of the tolerances. I had to use a bottle jack on my first 94 monster as the swingarm was a little tweaked. The wheel I was installing came off of a 96.

Another thing: Since OZ wheels use the original sprocket and carriers, we had to press the new cush drives in. If they are not pressed in all the way, they will not allow the sprocket carrier to seat all the way down. This is something that needs to be checked as well before you consider machining anything.

Machining the wheel spacer is the best way to install the tight fitting rear wheel but if it is just 1mm (which I overheard it was) , I bet you can spread the swingarm a little to get it to fit. It is not that difficult. If it is alot more than that or something else is in the way then it may require machining down a spacer.

The crucial thing with wheels is the sprocket spacing. When you start machining spacers and wheels you have to make sure the sprocket stays in alignment.

I've been installing wheels on Motorcycles since the early 80's when the wheels came with no hubs and we had to make them for each application. We sell over 500 wheelsets a year here- so we have a little bit of experience with wierd fitments. Sometimes new models will make very slight changes or production runs of swingarms are slightly off--but it is not that difficult to adapt. Our guy probably thought the mechanic was giving up too easy or was too conservative- (not to say your mechanic does not know).
He was just trying to play it safe and since your mechanic has the bike in front of him---I would go with his advice if he feels he can do it correctly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
HI!Be sure to post pics when you fit them!Are they lighter than stock?I'm asking this because at Motowheels site says 13lbs for both stock, and Bucci rear.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
The 13 pounds weight is for an OEM 3 spoke single sided rear wheel that does not have a cush drive, sprocket carrier or bearings. It is listed on the Marchesini wheel for comparison purposes as the front wheel is the same.
We have not weighed the 3 spoke rear cast aluminum wheel with the carrier, cush and bearings yet.

The OZ wheels weighs a little less than the OEM 3 spoke. The front OZ is about 2 pounds lighter. The rear should be about the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts