Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up a new battery as per instructions for the electrolyte and the plugs etc then put it on the trickle charger which indicated that it was fully charged. Even so I left it "trickling" overnight.

Does the battery have a full charge in it as soon as the electrolyte is added?

I would have expected not... even though my multimeter indicated it had 12.x volts.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i don't think most batteries achieve a full charge when you add the electolyte. my last battery needed about 2 1/2 hours at 2 amps on a charger to top off. when fully charged the battery measures something like 13.4 volts no load, or so.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
According to the battery manufacturers, yes....

But in a past life I was working with folks who forgot more about lead acid batteries in one day than I knew in total.
They said that a batteries' life was much improved by it getting an absolutely full charge before it got used.
I've always done it unless I was stranded.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Trickle charge over night at 2 amp and your good to go(should have been recommended on any paperwork supplied with a new battery). :p

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mikesduc said:
Trickle charge over night at 2 amp and your good to go(should have been recommended on any paperwork supplied with a new battery). :p
Paperwork from YUASA did not give that info. I did it anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts