Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. What are your thoughts on taking a monster to one of those quarter operated, pressure spray car washes? Maybe to give it a rinse down, then hit it with some S100 spray, then a final rinse and dry. Anyone done this before? I'm curious cause I know I could get a squeeking clean look with that kind of pressure. I also know I could potentially blow a fuel line or something clean off the bike. [thumbsup]

-J

·
Registered
541 Posts
You people actually wash your bike?.....pshhh dirt add's character.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't even use water.. a spray with Mr Sheen & buff with a soft cloth. You can use it on every part of the bike, rubber hoses, paint, you name it... but don't use on tyres unless you want to slide right off the road. The bike looks brand new... but only has 3000km on it.

Hayze

·
Registered
650 Posts
jonnymorrow said:
Hey guys. What are your thoughts on taking a monster to one of those quarter operated, pressure spray car washes? Maybe to give it a rinse down, then hit it with some S100 spray, then a final rinse and dry. Anyone done this before? I'm curious cause I know I could get a squeeking clean look with that kind of pressure. I also know I could potentially blow a fuel line or something clean off the bike. [thumbsup]

-J
Um, no :-X With that kind of pressure you'll also wash all of the grease out of your bearings and force water into your instrument cluster and every other area its not supposed to go.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did it once or twice before I learned not to. All the reason's above, plus my dealer mechanic told me it's not good to throw cold water on a hot engine, stuff can start warping. Always clean it when it's cold. I use Honda Pro Cleaner Polish (just got banned in California, but no where else). It's $5 bucks a can and is available at big bike shops that carry lots of bike makes (never seen it in a BMW/Ducati dealer). No water or soap, unless I need to spray out some gravel that I can't reach with my fingers. just spray it on and buff it off. And it cleans every surface on the bike. I love the stuff! You won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Well i do, maybe once or twice a year. It's almost next to my dealer, so I go and have a chat there while the bike cools down.
Then I push it to one of the cubicles and spray it with S100 type stuff, leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse off with the water jet.
The water jet I set to low pressure and use it from a distance 2 - 3 metres. Bit like a garden hose really. Works a treat. I do not and would not use a high pressure hose on my bike.
No hot air drying or polishing at the car wash, do the polishing at home.
Why I go to the car wash - because I live on the 3rd floor and hate running up and down the stairs with buckets of water

1 - 12 of 12 Posts