Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to change my oil again on Saturday and was wondering if a torgue wrench should be used for the drain plug. I personally don't use one (very very expensive tool) and just tighten the plug on hand (even the Duc dealer does that) looking out not to overtighten it. I've read some topics in here and somewhere else who strongly suggest the use of a torque wrench even in the oil change.

Am i do it all wrong? And if i am, what is the correct torgue for a monster 620 ?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I've never used a torque wrench on mine. I aim for fingertight plus a little bit, and wait to see if it's weeping any oil the next morning and nip it up 1/16th of a turn if needed. I think the biggest danger is stripping the thread in the case (which turns into an expensive split-the-cases repair job if you screw it up).

big

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My S4 service manual has the torque at 30 ft-lb, which is pretty tight.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i'm also in the "just get 'er good and snug, and see if it weeps oil later" crowd.

that's also how i tighten my filter, and i'm pretty sure there's an actual torque spec for that, too.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
When your oil drain plug backs out 120 miles from the nearest Ducati mechanic you'll wish you'd bought that torque wrench. It's cheap insurance IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
No...after snugging up with the ratchet, I give the ratchet handle a little love tap with a hammer. Same tap to get it off for next change...never any leaks.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I do use a torque wrench on the plug. It doesn't take much effort to reach the 30lbs-ft, and I'm more afraid of over-tightening than under if I do it by feel.

On the filter I hand-tighten like my old shop teacher told me. (Interesting side note: the previous owner was a duc-mechanic at a dealership & when I got the bike it was leaking at the filter. He hadn't tightened it enough.)

--Jeff

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I am of the school "technician tight" when it comes to oil plugs. ie wrench it up and give it a little bit extra by "feel"

BTW- anyone know exactly how engineers establish a torque figure for a fitting such as an oil plug?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Shooter said:
-----------snip----------------
BTW- anyone know exactly how engineers establish a torque figure for a fitting such as an oil plug?
For threaded fasteners in general:
It's possible to calculate the clamping load for a particular torque, although it's *very* dependent on the plating/material of the male and female threads, as well as the lubricant (if any) on the threads and the mating area of the head.
The necessary clamping load is usually defined by whatever the fastener is holding in place, whether that's a rod cap or a cylinder head or a sidecover or whatever.
Stronger bolts can provide more clamping load, up to the limit of what the material under the bolt head can stand.

For something like an oil plug, it's probably less scientific.
Like: 'We've torqued that plug to XX ft-lb on our durability test bikes for the last ten years, and none of 'em ever fell out, and the mechanics never stripped any either.'

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Nope [thumbsup]

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Never used to use a torque wrench on my Kawi. Then the oil plug vibrated out and ended w/ me sliding across the pavement on my visor. I torque it down now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.