Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish my car didn't have A-pillars in it. I always want to look farther down the entrance ramps and that thing gets in the way. I always practice braking, shifting, cornering stuff when I'm in my car. basically, I always pretend like I'm on the bike. Too bad shifting around in the seat doesn't make my car go around corners faster.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I do that in my camaro sometimes, especially in the corners >:D but I always drive like I'm on my bike, defensivly!!
Keep a safe distance, looking for that turn with out directionals and expecting the unexpected.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Yup. I go months without driving my truck and when I do drive it I hang off my seat in the turns and try to split lanes. I was driving with a friend of mine and came into a turn at normal Ducati speed which was way too fast for the car. I started leaning off the seat, the tires were squealing, and my friend in the passenger's seat is yelling "four wheels, Rob, four wheels!!". On another occasion I had cars in the number 1 and 2 lanes both hit their brakes hard with no traffic in front of them, so without thinking, I split lanes. The only problem is, I was driving my truck, not the Ducati. These people must have thought I was completely out of my mind. It was like that scene in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, when they drive between the 2 semi's.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
OMG, I thought I was the only one. Shifting my weight around, twisting the steering wheel. I am slightly less embarrased [laugh]

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I hate driving my car. My bike does 0-60 is what 3-5 seconds. My car does 0-60 in 3-5 hours.

-J

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. while we're all getting less embarrassed..... anybody ever hit their head on the driver's window? i mean like almost face first looking through a turn? it sucks when passengers see it happen.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I BROKE THE WINDOW, AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
silentbob said:
Yup. I go months without driving my truck and when I do drive it I hang off my seat in the turns and try to split lanes. I was driving with a friend of mine and came into a turn at normal Ducati speed which was way too fast for the car. I started leaning off the seat, the tires were squealing, and my friend in the passenger's seat is yelling "four wheels, Rob, four wheels!!". On another occasion I had cars in the number 1 and 2 lanes both hit their brakes hard with no traffic in front of them, so without thinking, I split lanes. The only problem is, I was driving my truck, not the Ducati. These people must have thought I was completely out of my mind. It was like that scene in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, when they drive between the 2 semi's.
This would have made me squirt fluids out my nose.... After a month of not driving my car, I took every corner a bit too fast... I also don't get the seat belt thing anymore... with all that metal around, why do you need the seat belt? It also sucks to put your helmet on to drive. I need more head room.

·
Registered
56 Posts
skdmrks said:
This would have made me squirt fluids out my nose.... After a month of not driving my car, I took every corner a bit too fast... I also don't get the seat belt thing anymore... with all that metal around, why do you need the seat belt? It also sucks to put your helmet on to drive. I need more head room.
ROTL, you need the seat belt because when you get in a wreck and your body goes flying, all that metal and glass will tear it up. ::)

C.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Maybe I should drive in my full leather gear... do you think that will help?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I do find myself reaching for the right side steering wheel brake and i have been twisting it lately as well...

Glad to know i'm not the only one!

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Davesax36 said:
OK. while we're all getting less embarrassed..... anybody ever hit their head on the driver's window? i mean like almost face first looking through a turn? it sucks when passengers see it happen.
I knock my knee into my door, on sweeping left turns ::)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Not only do I try to look through, but find myself looking through the car windshield in front of me. I also use the car to explore new roads cause if I take em a little too hot the consequenses are much less. ;D

·
Registered
76 Posts
In addition to looking through the turns and twitching my left hand & foot to shift, my biggest problem is wanting to press into the turns... maybe I need to find some way of hacking the steering in my car.

Despite the fact that I've become an even more defensive and hyper-aware driver since riding, I can feel myself "turning down a notch" when I get behind a wheel... knowing that it doesn't take as much concentration and mental effort as riding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts