Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What got me thinkin' is that I have a friend who has two young daughters and I would like to take them for a ride on a bike once spring hits here. Both are small enough to sit in front of me for the ride instead of behind me.

This thought got me thinkin' about my first ride:
I was between 8 and 10. I was at my friend's house across the street. A friend of their family came to visit on his motorcycle. There were four of us boys hanging around and checking out the guy's bike. He asked us if we wanted to go for a ride. Of course I said "Yes!" I was small enough at the time to ride in front of him and got the full effect...just like I was driving it. I remember how much fun I thought it was. I don't remember if he had me wear a helmet...and I think the bike was blue.

I went home later and, with great delight, told my mom about my adventure. She was upset that I had not come and asked her first. As an adult I understand her concern but am I ever glad that I did not think to ask, she probably would have said "No." and who knows when I would have gotten my next chance.

I don't know who that man was but I am thankful to him for giving me my first exposure to one of the passions of my life.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
On the tank of my dad's orange Yamaha enduro in the early 70's in Escondido, California. We got pulled over by a cop. I had to sit on the back of the bike the rest of the way home. Cried the whole way back because I was afraid of falling off.

G

·
Never took a ride when I was kid. My first ride was solo on a borrowed 125cc dirt bike when I was 18, circa '90. Been hooked on motos ever since. ;D

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I think i was probaly 4 or 5, my dad took me for a ride on his Yamaha SR 500. Good times...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I think I was around 10. A friend taught me how to ride his YZ80. His family owned several dirt bikes, so after the first time it was hard to get me off of those little things.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I was probably 8-10 years old, and it was my Dad's early-70s Honda CB750. Totally freaked me out as I recall.

Sometime after that (maybe 12?) my first ride on my own was a ratty Kawi enduro. Still terrified, and learned quickly how to crash. Bikes were off and on until I hit my mid-20s (and out of college) and the bug hit for good.

Now at 37 I can't see not having at least a couple. :)

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I'm a late bloomer, it was only like 2 or 3 years ago.
Yes, I rather forget it.
I was the only one that didn't pass the test. :'(
Too nervous & went to slow. Then I choked & stopped the bike before I crossed the line.
[laugh]
Didn't grow up around it at all, so it's a really foreign to me. Hard to assimilate the stuff when you start when you are older I think. That's why I have such limited knowledge on basic terms & stuff. Don't really understand the diff biker cultures too well either.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
When I was in the 6th or 7th grade back around '63 or '64 I was hitch hiking to the main base at Offutt in Omaha. A guy on a pushrod Honda 90 (not the step through version) picked me up and I rode on the back. I think the next day at school I was in the Honda shop across the street picking up every brochure and wall poster I could carry. I think they got tired of me being in that shop so often. 3 years later a friend & I were riding his Honda Sport 50 around the dirt roads behind his house in California. I was forbidden to have one and had to come up with some pretty inventive stories to explain the constant dirty & torn jeans, not to mention the scrapes that came with them.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
some time in high school circa 5 to 6 years ago. don't remember what it was but dirt bikes in the sticks with friends. good times [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I dabbled in dirt bikes when I was in grade school -- I had friends who lived on farms, and they'd always want to go tear up the fields and dirt roads. But my folks would never buy a bike for us to own -- even though my dad had an old Honda street bike in the early '70's. (he sold it when I was about 4yo).

My uncle let me ride his old Sachs moped solo when I was about 12 or 13. It was fun, 'til the police noted that I looked a little young for the bike, and they suggested that I wait to ride on the streets 'til after I got a driver's license. [cheeky] It was a small town, so no tickets or anything...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I can't remember exactly how old I was, probably 8 or 9 when my Uncle would take me for a ride on his Goldwing. About the same time my mom's boyfriend had a wing as well and would take me for rides. A couple years later I had another Uncle that bought a BMW and he'd take me for a spin on that. And then about the time I graduated High School a friend bought a used Suzuki GS550 that he let us borrow.

So, I guess I grew up around street bikes. I have still never been on a dirt bike, but I really would like to. Too bad I live in the city now and there's really no place to ride them.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
When I was in about 7th grade a friend had a Suzuki Quadsport that we would go riding around on in the desert by our houses. Usually I was on the back, but ocassionally he'd let me drive. I technically wasn't allowed to be doing this, but that went for a few other things as well so there I was!

Not quite a motorcycle...but close enough...it got me hooked! >:D

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
My first ride? 7:30 am, MSF course, mid-March, 30 degrees (F), freezing rain, no rain gear. How could I forget?

No wonder I didn't learn a thing. ::)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
^^^ [laugh]

·
Registered
231 Posts
My first ride was on the back of my mom's kawasaki 305 ltd. I think that's what it was atleast. I was probably about 6 or so.

·
Registered
123 Posts
preface - my uncle Jim rode dirt bikes with The King out in the orchards of Modesto when he was a kid, he raced bikes out in the desert. I seem to *always* remember getting rides on his various dirt bikes, ATVs and street bikes growing up. His dad [my dad's dad too] lived on a bit more than 100 acres at the time.

OK I vividly remember My dad pickiing me up and setting me on top of Jim's HUSKY 450 desert racer..... Jim is standing there blipping the throttle. My older cousin Mike is off to the side snickering. Dad sez - OK pull in the clutch and push down here. OK good. Now just giver her gas and let out the clutch. Have fun

So I opened her up full throttle and dumped the clutch

;D WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :-X OUCH

ANyways, I see the bike go squirting out from under me and it ends up a hundred feet down the trail. I am on my ass and my dad, uncle Jim and Mike are cracking up hesterically. My tail bone hurt for like 2 weeks. We didn;t mention this to mom.

That was the start. I think I was in 6th grade. I have had several dirt bikes and literally 30 or more street bikes and 5 roadracers since then. I now am in the moto industry.

Oh what fun, it is to ride...........................

1 - 20 of 53 Posts